Question

Honor Student
jiggs
Message 1 of 6 (12,459 Views)

Upgrading memory in Pavillion DV6700

Have a pavillion DV6700 notebook, Vista 64-bit with 2G RAM. I called HP to get the correct memory and purchased Kingston branded sticks 2X2G. when I added both sticks I received a PFN_list_corrupt error and windows shuts down. if I put one 2G stick and one 1G stick it boots but eventually freezes. I called Kingston and they said I needed to update the BIOS, but the latest BIOS update on the HP site is the one loaded on my machine. has anyone had a similar problem? I am about to downgrade to XP at this point.
Honor Student
Peter_1419
Message 2 of 6 (12,140 Views)

Re: Upgrading memory in Pavillion DV6700

I have a dv6700t with Vista 64 Home Premium and suffer the same problem.  It came with two sticks of 1GB ram and I bought the Corsair VS4GSDSKIT667D2 4GB kit which consisted of 2x2GB sticks.  When I insert 1 x 2GB stick it works fine, same with the other stick but as soon as I insert both 2GB sticks in together I get the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT.  I tried all the things Corsair technical asked me to including booting up with no memory fitted then letting the notebook auto detect the settings of the memory but still no success.  If I fit oneCorsair 2GB stick plus one of the original HP 1GB sticks I still receive the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT.  At one point Corsair arranged for me to send back the Ram and they sent me out a replacement but this was no better so now they are offering to refund me for the cost of the Ram and say it is an HP problem not compatibility of the memory.  I also have updated the BIOS to the latest version.  Very frustrating as I would like to have 4GB of memory fitted and should not be having a problem.
Master's Graduate
melanchete
Message 3 of 6 (12,128 Views)

Call HP support and (open a ticket) see if they have a newer version that is not posted.
Pavilion DV7-1285dx Notebook, Windows 7 64bit, Intel X2 P8600 2.40GHz, Nvidia GeForce 9600M, 6GB RAM, 2x 500GB HD(s)
Honor Student
Peter_1419
Message 4 of 6 (11,836 Views)

I had the opportunity to return the Corsair memory for a full refund so took this option.  However this month I obtained 4 GB of Mushkin PC5300 ram that was recommended to me.  I fitted this and had exactly the same problem receiving the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT blue screen on Windows boot up.  This time I decided to format the computer so fitted the 4 GB of Mushkin ram and booted up from the Windows Vista disc ready to format.  However as soon as it started to load the Windows files I received the blue screen again. Next I tried by fitting back the old 2 GB of ram then booting from the CD, formatting and installing Vista 64 bit. After the install and before installing any drivers or software I swapped the ram to the new 4 GB and booted up but then received the blue screen PFN_LIST_CORRUPT again.

Contacted HP to raise a ticket as per your suggestion but was told because the laptop was out of warranty they could not do anything.

Student
vwpavlov
Message 5 of 6 (11,317 Views)

I had the same problem (Vista 32 would not accept 4GB memory, or even 3 GB). It seems that a certain combination of Vista and BIOS don't lower the 4GB installed memory (because your video and other things use DDR2 memory)enough (you should see about 3.25 GB), and the total memory calculated by the system adds up to more than 4GB. You CAN install 3GB as long as you place the 1 GB memory stick in the slot closest to the motherboard. Put the 2GB stick on top of it. I hope this works for you.

Student
Twilson84
Message 6 of 6 (2,862 Views)

well its my understanding that some motherboards are built to only except a certain amount of ram. a 64bit system is a bit much to ask of a machine with this much ram anyway. try downgrading to 7 or maybe moving to linux mint if you mainly use you laptop for browsing and emails

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation