Question

Student
LadySteph
Message 1 of 1 (448 Views)

Using Recovery Disks in an external drive

Here is my problem.  I have a Compaq Presario F750US Notebook PC.  I tried to do a full recovery and after reformatting thr hard drive the recovery would stop at 28%.  So I installed Windows XP on the damaged hard drive and that is what I am using right now.  Not very reliable.

So, I ordered the Recovery Disks from HP and bought a new hard drive.  Unfortunatly the Recovery Disks are in DVD format.  The notebooks DVD drive went out over a year ago, so the notebook cannot even 'see' these disks.  So then I went out and bought an external DVD drive (USB).  I changed the Boot Order in BIOS so the USB choices are first and the notebooks internal HD is last.  When I boot with the Recovery Disk in the extenal drive the computer says there is no operating system if I have the new HD installed.  With the damaged HD installed XP boots up.   I cannot seem to make the notebook boot from this external DVD drive.  (I have and external HD that it does see, but then it just says 'no operating system'.  I tried copying the DVDs to the external HD, but that doesnt work either.)

So basically, is there any way to run the Recovery Disks using either external drives onto this notebook with the new HD installed?

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation