HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
03-21-2011 02:03 AM
1. I login to my system using the fingerprint scanner
2. I have forgotten my password and want to change it
3. Simple Pass has my account password stored b/c I always use it to login (by swiping my finger)
4. I found how to "view" passwords in the software but it only lists all of the various websites, applications, etc. where I have stored a password - ****it does NOT list my system account*****
5. When I try to change password in Control panel, and it prompts me for my old password, there is no icon to swipe my finger, etc.
HOW do I get at this password? It's stored, just like al the other application passwords which I'm allowed to view by swiping, how do I view this one? There is nothing in the Help file.
I have Pavilion dv72 Quad Ed Sandy Bridge, 8gig ram, 1 gig video, etc...
I appreciate any help, I want to safeguard myself in the event the finger print scanner stops working.
Please do not reply with posts of how I should have made a USB password reset file. Just looking for a solution or workaround to the current problem (I tried to make a reset USB stick now, but it prompts for the password and finger swipe is not available).
Thanks in advance folks!
04-09-2011 01:08 PM
i believe your stuck. but dont lose hope, contact hp and report your problem.
btw, just for my personal understanding... when you logon to the system with the fingerprint scanner, does the small light start blinking for like 3 minutes. thats what im experiencing, is this normal? does that happen to you?
07-28-2011 06:22 PM
I just resolved this exact problem. If the account for which you have lost the password is an admin account, use Simple Pass and log in with your fingerprint. Go to Control Panel > Users and create a new user (name it temp or something easy). Don't create a password. Make the new user an administrator. Switch users and log in as the new temp user (you'll still be logged in with your normal user).
Go to Control Panel > Users and click on Manage another user. Change the password. Then log out and log in again with your normal account. You now have a new password. You can log out the temp user, go in as your normal user, and delete the temp user acount.
07-29-2011 10:57 AM - last edited on 07-29-2011 11:29 AM by MrMatthew
OMG thank you SOOOOOOOOO much you have no idea ive been online looking for a solution to this problem for HOURS and that just saved me thank you soooo much.