Question

Honor Student
sansisbean
Message 1 of 5 (1,840 Views)

Using Windows 7 RC on Pavillion dv9205us

As many  owners of this model/series know, there are significant hardware concerns HP has had to step-up and fix...(and kudos to HP for addressing all of the hardware issues my unit has experienced without question!)

Software, however, has never been a concern. Since vista rolled out the compatibilty checker and settings option, I have been able to run my favorite out-of-circulation design software unique to windows98. Windows7 has only improved this experience.

This model runs Win7 flawlessly. Thank goodness MS didn't force another industry-wide hardware upgrade panic to run the new, post-vista standards, os.

Honor Student
sansisbean
Message 2 of 5 (1,839 Views)

Re: Using Windows 7 RC on Pavillion dv9205us

This unit accepted the challenge and seamlessly executed the upgrade installation to Windows 7 RC. Running my unit with 2.5GB RAM, AMD 64x2 processor, x84OS Vista, office 2007, acrobat 8.0, itunes, wmp...blah blah. Nothing out of the ordinary except Adobe PhotoDeluxe Business Edition 3.0. This is an all-time fav piece of photo manipulation and business-marketing templates. Many of the templates and plugins refused to install or load after Win98SE changed to WinMe. Up until Vista. I was able to install and use many of the photo manip features, but the templates and most of the photo cliparts and scratch disk setting s reamined corrupted.

Then along came Win7. Using the compatibility settings and selecting Win98 and the last successful OS the software used, I now have 99% of the complete software package available to use. And boy does it fly!

Reinstalling your favorite old-school software may require a little finesse, but really try it out!

Honor Student
MSFT_GlenF
Message 3 of 5 (1,798 Views)

[ Edited ]

sansisbean,

I’m glad to hear that Windows 7 is working well for you.  It’s always great to hear that it’s actually solved problems you were having with your software before.  When you get the chance, you should check out the Windows 7 forum, at microsoft.com/springboard.  It provides support, "how to" video guides and several other tips and tricks to make your Windows 7 experience awesome.

Thanks

Glen

Message Edited by WendyM on 06-09-2009 10:49 AM
Honor Student
JeffP231
Message 4 of 5 (1,303 Views)

[ Edited ]

Any experience or luck with the dv9205us and a Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade from Vista Home Premium?

I performed the custom upgrade, and some of the hardware is outright unsupported (USB subsystem, Webcam, etc.)

Win7 is officially unsupported on this platform (which sucks, its a great laptop and Win7 is such a huge improvement over Vista), so I'm patching what I can together to make it work.

Any ideas?

Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 5 (1,291 Views)

@JeffP231

Try installing nVidia Chipset  here 

Cyberlink YouCam here

Check your Device Manager and see what drivers are missing or are listed with error.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation