Question

Honor Student
Longfellowe
Message 1 of 7 (2,511 Views)

Visited Links Won't Change Color

I'm having a problem with IE8 not changing the color of my visited links. They stay blue instead of changing to purple. I'm running System7 on a new Hewlett Packard PC. I've installed the latest Windows updates and gone to: Tools/Internet Options/General/Colors and verified that the default "Use Windows Colors" is checked. Any suggestions?

Master's Graduate
Comptronic
Message 2 of 7 (2,500 Views)

Re: Visited Links Won't Change Color

Try:

Tools->Internet Options->(In browsing history section) click Delete, and then the "Delete history" button.

Master's Graduate
edbergjun
Message 3 of 7 (2,496 Views)

try reinstalling your ie8

Honor Student
Longfellowe
Message 4 of 7 (2,490 Views)

Hi Comptronic,

Thanks for your reply.

I went to the History Delete page, checked all the boxes to delete everything I could, closed IE8 and then re-booted.

Unfortunetly there was no change. My previously visited links remain blue. I did notice one odd thing tho', the "Next" button at the bottom of my Google search results page has turned purple! So apparently it's getting the message to change, it's just not changing all the right things.

Honor Student
Longfellowe
Message 5 of 7 (2,486 Views)

Hi edbergjun,

Re-installing IE8 is an excellent suggestion, however, this is a new Pavillion and HP has decided that users don't need install disks anymore and none are provided with the machine. They do encourage you to make a "Restore" disk as soon as you boot the PC for the first time, and I did that, but this problem has been with me since I bought the machine two weeks ago, so I don't think restoring would help.

Do you know of a way to get our friends at Microsoft to give me an install disk? Or a way of downloading such a file without being able to prove you bought the program legitimately?

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 6 of 7 (2,473 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Longfellowe

Hi,

I'm not sure then below solution will solve your problem, but it's worth to try. Run IE 8 and from menu choose:

Tools -> Internet Options

and in bottom part of ' General ' tab click ' Colors ' button. Find and uncheck there something like ' Use colors of Windows system '.

If this will not help then this may mean that site which you are using is forcing browser to use other colors.

Go to the same, tab but this time click ' Availability ' button and check there ' Ignore colors specified on webpages. '.

I'm not sure is this button for sure is named as ' Availability ' so I wil write too then there is as first ' Colors ', second ' Languages ' , third ' Fonts ' and after this there will be this what you should look for.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Honor Student
Longfellowe
Message 7 of 7 (2,460 Views)

Daniel and All:

Thanks for all your suggestions. I've made a discovery that points me in another direction. Since I don't have a program disk and Microsoft won't let me download the program (because they look at my PC and inform me that I already HAVE IE8) I went into Internet Options and did a complete reset of IE8. Wiped out everything and then rebooted. The browser came up with the Microsoft home page and Bing. Lo and behold the colors changed when I went browsing with Bing! Very pleased with myself, I went back to Google and.... (you probably know where this is going) the colors won't change. Works with Bing, not with Google. This is probably a Microsoft conspiracy to stick it to Google <G>. Anyway, I'm off to the Google help pages and I thank everyone here who gave of their time to try and resolve this.

Regards,

Longfellowe

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation