Question

Tutor
Camcatman
Message 1 of 20 (15,486 Views)

Webcam problem: "cannot find Magic-i virtual driver"

I installed the deluxe webcam on my pc but keep getting the error message above, with the instruction that I should go to HP support. I have tried reinstalling or repairing but it makes no difference. When I used the webcam it worked with msn and skype, but while the person I was talking to could see me, I could not see them. Help and advice would be appreciated. Also, after installing the software, I find that sometimes the keyboard freezes and I cannot type anything !
Honor Student
Marventis
Message 2 of 20 (15,117 Views)

Re: Webcam problem: "cannot find Magic-i virtual driver"

After having installed the same webcam under Windows 7, I am facing exactly the same issues - also saw that Arcsoft was referring to HP regarding help on this matter... I was hoping there would be an update from HP on this (as referred to under the Arcsoft website)
Top Student
parsnips
Message 3 of 20 (14,945 Views)

Another having this same problem.  Webcam works, but keep getting message 'can not find Magic-i Virtual Driver'. 

Tutor
cadu1995
Message 4 of 20 (14,872 Views)

Did u ever find out the problem with your webcam?

I was on the phone for 2 1/2 hours with a supposed IT professional from HP-from India-where else? And she was useless.

My magic-i still does not open up due to a "driver not found"

And HP's solution patch doesn't even open up.

Any help will b appreciated.

PS-i downloaded the software disc 15 times-no help.

Tutor
cadu1995
Message 5 of 20 (14,866 Views)

I think your keyboard freezing is another problem entirely.

I also have the same thing-i thought it was mu mouse but it isn't.

I also have the same problem with the Magic-i so let me know if u have found any solutions.

Thanks.

Tutor
Paul-Nichols
Message 6 of 20 (14,651 Views)

I just solved this problem using the following instructions I found on the ArcSoft User Forum.

THIS FIXES THE PROBLEM!  Thanks to marvinmartian.

OK  I am now running magic-i on windows 7 where I previously was getting the "virtual driver not found" error. 
Follow these steps:
1.  Put in the install cd into the drive.
2.  Go to "my computer" and right click on the drive with the cd and click "open"
3.  find the "magic-i" folder and copy it to your desktop.
4.  in the magic-i folder, run setup and choose the uninstall option.  (this should uninstall everything from arcsoft)
5.  reboot
6.  Go into the magic-i folder on your desktop and RIGHT click on the "Setup" application.
7.  Click "troubleshoot compatablity"
8. choose "troubleshoot program"
9. Choose "The program worked in earlier versions....."
10.  Then choose "windows vista Service pack 2" and click next
11.  Then choose "start program" and in about 10 seconds the installer will pop up.
12.  Install the program.
That's it.  It should work when you click on the magic-i3 icon on your desktop.
Hope this helps.
paul
Tutor
Camcatman
Message 7 of 20 (14,715 Views)

Thanks for suggesting a fix but it doesnt work for me. I have XP and cannot complete your suggested fix. I will have to take the camera and software back to PC World. Its a shoddy piece of software if it causes this many problems
Tutor
Camcatman
Message 8 of 20 (14,708 Views)

Don't buy this rubbish. Buy anything else.

When you try to report the problem to Arcsoft, the message form demands that you enter the product reference - which you cannot get because you cannot find magic-i driver, and the reference number you can get from the sytem isnt recognised by arcsoft, so you are not allowed to complete the form and send it off ! Its a great way of ensuring that arcsoft get no complaints. Yes, I am frustrated.

Honor Student
Dumbunny
Message 9 of 20 (14,698 Views)

[ Edited ]

Paul!!

Awesome fix, thank you so much!  i had tried 5 times  before i read your post but never did the "Compatibility" thingey.  I knew it HAD to somehow work because my Toshiba Laptop is also running Windows 7 BUT 32 bit and it loaded drivers no problem  ( the HP i was having the trouble with has Windows 7 and is 64 bit - i talk about all these specs AS IF i know what they mean :smileyhappy: Anyhow, thank you so much for the posted intructions you put.  I could never have figured it out without your step-by-step- ! It worked like a charm, EXCEPT:  choosing Vista Service Pack 2 didn't work for me, but i persevered and tried Just Vista, still a "no go" but lo & behold when i tried Vista Service Pack 1 it worked!!  Thanks again! And thanks to marvinmartian!

Message Edited by Dumbunny on 11-27-2009 07:01 PM
Message Edited by Dumbunny on 11-27-2009 07:05 PM
Honor Student
hummer621
Message 10 of 20 (14,528 Views)

Here is the fix for Windows 7. They send a new disc at no charge:
This document pertains only to HP Deluxe, HP Premium Autofocus, and HP Elite Autofocus Webcams being used in Windows 7.
The following three HP webcams came with Arcsoft Magic-i 3 software.
  • KQ246AA - HP Deluxe Webcam
  • KQ245AA - HP Premium Autofocus Webcam
  • GX607AA - HP Elite Autofocus Webcam
Arcsoft Magic-i 3 software fails to initialize when installed in Windows 7. The following error message appears after installing Arcsoft Magic-i 3 in Windows 7:
  • Error: We cannot find "Arcsoft Magic-I Driver" in your computer. Please reinstall Magic-I to fix this problem. If the problem persists, contact our technical support staff for help.
    Figure 1: Magic-i error message
     Error
Resolution
A new software CD has been created that fixes the problem. If you have an earlier version, you will need to uninstall the software and install a more recent version.
Disc information for HP Deluxe Webcam (KQ246AA) and HP Premium Autofocus Webcam (KQ245AA):
  • Use Installation disc version 1.4 or higher.
  • Do NOT use version 1.3 or lower. Any software CD version lower that version 1.4 will not install correctly on Windows 7 64 bit. Installation disc version 1.4 is black and green and labeled with part number 5014-0797. If the software CD indicates version 1.4 or higher, the software will install correctly on XP, VISTA (32 and 64 bit), Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit). Any of the new blue CDs (OV3) with part # 573510-001 or 573514-001 will install correctly.
Disc information for HP Elite Autofocus Webcam (GX607AA):
  • Use Installation disc version 1.5 or higher.
  • Do NOT use version 1.4 or lower. Any software version lower that version 1.5 will not install correctly on Windows 7 64 bit. If the software CD indicates version 1.5 or higher, the software will install correctly on XP, VISTA (32 and 64 bit), and Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit).
Obtain the correct version of installation disc that matches your Webcam, by doing one of the following:
  • In the United States : go to the HP Support & Drivers site for your Webcam (KQ246AA, KQ245AA, or GX607AA), select Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit, and fill out the order form.
  • If you are in the United States or Canada , Contact HP to have a disc sent to you.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation