Re: What is the Windows GDI Printer? (371 Views)
Tutor
Chiltipin
Message 1 of 3 (416 Views)

What is the Windows GDI Printer?

I'm using an Officejet 7310 now.  I am pretty certain I was able to sent Postscript Level 2 to my last two printers (Officejet 7130 and Officejet Pro L7680) even though the specs for those printers say they don't do Postscript.  I found these applications: GhostScript and GhostPrint that work together.  GhostPrint lets me send a Postscript file to the Windows GDI Printer, and it prints correctly on the 7310.  It also lets me change the Properties of the Windows GDI Printer.  I read the Wiki and everything else I could find.  The info seems to imply that this printer is part of Windows, but I could not find a difinitive answer, or how to access its properties through Windows.  Is this printer part of the Windows operating system, or is it solely an artifact of GhostScript?

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 2 of 3 (386 Views)

Re: What is the Windows GDI Printer?

Hello, 

To answer your question the driver GDI is a printer that's automatically installed by windows like the other XPS drivers. The reason why you're able to send a photo script to the GDI is because like you said, it supports that print driver.

I'm having a hard time understanding the other questions you have beside if this printer is windows based or part of Ghost Script. 

Could you please explain any other concerns you have?

I hope this answers your questions let me know if you need anything else. 

THX

Tutor
Chiltipin
Message 3 of 3 (371 Views)

Re: What is the Windows GDI Printer?

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply. It's a difficult question to ask because there is so much vague information about it, and the word "printer" is used with multiple meanings. My understanding is that the Windows Graphical Device Interface is responsible for rasterizing images from whatever source for display on the monitor. I have a printing device that doesn't understand postscript, but I am able to view a postscript file on my monitor with help of an application such as GhostPrint (actually "GSview" is the GUI front end). In GSview there is an option to print the file using the Windows GDI Printer, and it has properties that I can change, just like a printer created with the 'Add Printer Wizard'. The info seems to vaguely imply that this printer is part of Windows. If this is part of the Windows operating system, then I should be able to access it, change it's properties, and use it without help from GSview.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation