Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
My father-in-law is in need of a new printer but does not want to upgrade his operating system.  Is there an all-in-one printer that will run on Windows 98?  If not, what is his best bet?
2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended
Wow, that's a tough question to answer. Does his Windows 98 machine have USB ports? As USB was just coming into being during the Windows 98 years it is likely he does not have the ports, and if he did it would be USB 1. So you will have to look for a printer with either parallel or serial interface for him. Then the challenge is to find drivers for the Windows 98 system. Your best bet might be to check the auction sites for older printers being sold. Or maybe get lucky and find someone upgrading to a system that no longer supports their printer. I have an older Canon printer that was used on a 98 system I'd be willing to give him if he lives close to SW Michigan.
dv7t-1000CTO Vista Home Premium (32 bit)
dv6-1350us Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
Pavilion 15-cs3073cl Windows 10
HP Recommended

I have a colleague who has a computer system that runs on Windows 98 and for many reasons, cannot be replaced at this time.  He needs a printer that will work on windows 98. Can you assist?  I've got some old printers from the 1990s that do still work with the newer OS.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.