Question

Student
upside
Message 1 of 2 (1,784 Views)

WiFi connection problem HP Envy DV6

Product Name: HP Envy DV6 (purchased this week at a BestBuy store)

Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit

Error message: Regarding my wifi connection — displays as 'limited' when connecting to my network at work, seems OK at home when connecting to a basic netgear router

changes made to system: NONE

Description of the problem: I am able to connect via WiFi at home connecting to a basic netgear wireless router. — At work however (i am a public school teacher) our in-house tech person attempted to select the network and enter the password (which btw worked previously on my older laptop) — it connects, but displays a status of 'limited'

I am assuming there are probably additional drivers needed for my Wifi hardware?

Any Help you can provide GREATLY appreciated. I am a school teacher here in NY trying to recover from hurricane Sandy in the midst of this. Thank you.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 2 (1,732 Views)

WiFi connection problem HP Envy DV6

No further drivers are necessary for the system. WiFi is an industry accepted standard and HP does comply with the standards that are set in place.

However, it is entirely possible that it is a result of how the school's network is configured. A lot of schools have their networks setup with MAC address filtering (or something similar) to prevent unauthorized devices from connecting to the wifi network. I would be very surprised if the school did not have that type of a setup. This is how a lot of schools keep students off their wireless networks. This would explain why the old notebook worked fine and this one does not work on the school's network. More than likely, it is not getting the DHCP (automatic IP) configuration from the school's DHCP server due to MAC address filtering.

I know you mentioned the in-house technician looked at it, but it is easy for techs that were not the original tech that setup the network to miss. The fact that the notebook works fine on your home network indicates the notebook is fine and the issue is related to how the school's network is setup.

If you could, what is the exact model of the notebook? There are several models within the DV6 family. In the mean time, check back with the school's IT department to verify and make sure that there is no filtering in place or any type of an enrollment process the notebook needs to go through. The school I went to added the wireless MAC address of any device they authorized to be on the network. If the wireless MAC address was not added, then the notebook did not get DHCP information and resulted in the limited connectivity status you mentioned earlier. I suspect this is the same scenario here.
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation