Question

Top Student
seanwfernandes
Message 1 of 12 (6,345 Views)

Windows 7 64bit keeps on freezing without error on HP Pavilion Elite m9290d Desktop PC

i just upgraded the existing OS Vista 32bit to Windows 7 64bit home on my HP Pavilion Elite m9290d Desktop PC and after 2 weeks it started freezing without any error so i have to do a hard boot. just before the freeze theres a single flicker of the screen and then freeze. sometime it freezes after couple of hours and sometimes just mins.

Can anyone help me. Bought the pc in singapore so the specs are just as in the website.

Associate Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 12 (6,333 Views)

Re: Windows 7 64bit keeps on freezing without error on HP Pavilion Elite m9290d Desktop PC

This is due to the issue with Windows 7 on nVidia chipset systems...please download and install the hotfix released by Microsoft from the following weblink:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Top Student
seanwfernandes
Message 3 of 12 (6,283 Views)

Re: Windows 7 64bit keeps on freezing without error on HP Pavilion Elite m9290d Desktop PC

Its still not working. It still freezes.

Im using USB's . MY wireless modem, Imation usb as a ready boost and hp wireless key board.

Please help

Top Student
seanwfernandes
Message 4 of 12 (6,231 Views)

well i tried to install but i get an error 'the installation could not complete. (259)

but i have only 2 gb ram. is this the correct fix.?

Professor
Charles001
Message 5 of 12 (6,223 Views)

That hotfix only applies to system with 4GB or more RAM, it is not for system with 2GB of RAM, probably should have exited gracefully.

2GB of RAM is the minimum system requirement to run 64bit WIndows 7, in reality, you need at least 4GB of RAM to have WIndows 7 64bit run decently.

======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Top Student
seanwfernandes
Message 6 of 12 (6,186 Views)

k, i will try downgrading to 32bit. I will let you know the results.

Top Student
seanwfernandes
Message 7 of 12 (6,157 Views)

Well no use. Windows 7 32bit also gets stuck right after booting..HP Come on i need some help

Top Student
seanwfernandes
Message 8 of 12 (6,103 Views)

I have installed the 32bit windows 7 and it worked awesome up until i installed EA Games FIFA 10, now it freezes, What seem to be the problem, i have all the latest drivers. Please help.

Honor Student
horizon
Message 9 of 12 (4,104 Views)

Hello same problem here, DV6 6034TX, 8GB RAM. And hotfix would not run on this computer

Teacher
mancy_techno
Message 10 of 12 (4,095 Views)

Hi,

Try to boot in safe mode and verify if the computer works fine without freezing. To boot to the desktop in safe mode keep tapping F8 key during restart. Once you see the option to boot in safe mode select it and press enter.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

If the computer works fine in safe mode, you try to put the computer in clean boot state to make sure that third party applications are not causing this issue with computer performance.

To perform a clean boot, follow the steps below:
1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
 If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
5. Click OK.
6. When you are prompted, click Restart.
7. After the computer starts, check if it works normally.

Get more information to fix Windows 7 Freezing error :

http://supportformicrosoft.iyogi.com/windows-7/windows-7-freeze-on-startup.html

Hope this information helps you.

Set peace of mind as your highest goal,and organize your life around it.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation