Question

Student
ianbrown1120
Message 1 of 4 (6,797 Views)

Windows 7 Startup Repair Loop

Before I begin, a few technical specs:

Computer: Compaq Presario CQ60-615DX

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, the other day I booted up my computer and my computer told me there was an error of some kind and that I should either run startup repair (recommended) or start windows normally. I ran startup repair, it did it's thing, then restarted, thinking it had fixed it. But it didn't. So it ran again and restarted. Did this several times so I decided to leave it on all night. Woke up in the morning and nothing's changed. Left it on for the whole day and still nothing. This is the root cause listed in the diagnostic report:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Boot manager failed to find OS loader.

Repair action: File repair

Result: Failed. Error code = 0x5

Time Taken = 6006 ms

Repair action: Boot configuration data store repair

Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490 

Time taken = 172 ms

Repair action: System Restore

Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0

Time taken = 151040 ms

--------------------------------------------------------------------

All I have access to on the computer is what is in the Startup Menu (System Information, System Diagnostics, Boot Device Options, BIOS Setup, and System Recovery). I am waiting on a USB drive and some CDs to attempt to fix it. I was going to back up my files if I needed to wipe the Hard Drive and restore the system,  but I can't access System Recovery (F11) from the startup menu. If I hit F11 it just goes right to the startup repair. So I have several questions, answer as many as you can:

1) How can I restore System Recovery?

2) How can I back up my files without System Recovery?

3) How can I wipe the OS without System Recovery?

4) Where can I get a Windows 7 Reinstall disk?

5) How do I fix the Startup Repair Loop?

6) 0x5 is System Error 5, which means the user is denied access to the files. Does that mean startup repair is being denied access? If so, is there a way to give access?

7) I was able to access System Recovery for a while and use Command Prompt, and discovered all my files had been moved from C:\ (My primary hard drive) to D:\ (which has been relabeled as my primary hard drive), with the exception of a few files called bootmgr~2, bootmgr~3, up to bootmgr~7. Is this causing the problem?

8) Is there a way to reinstall windows and save all the files on the D:\ drive, or will they all be erased?

9) What is error 0x490, and is there a way to fix it?

I appreciate any and all help. Thanks.

Grad Student
icp_wolverine
Message 2 of 4 (6,772 Views)

Re: Windows 7 Startup Repair Loop

if the system is under warranty you can call hp warranty dept and explain the sutuation to them give them the p/n number thats on a sticker on the bottom of laptop they can send you a recovery set of discs free.. the other way is go to your products support and drivers page and in the drivers section order the recovery discs for 30 bucks
Grad Student
icp_wolverine
Message 3 of 4 (6,772 Views)

sounds like you maybe added a partition which converted the drive to a dynamic drive .. if thats the case its darn near impossible to convert it back to basic..
but to answer one of your question the bootmgr is causing the fault
something you may have installed or added may have caused the bootmgr reconfiguation
Grad Student
icp_wolverine
Message 4 of 4 (6,768 Views)

one thing you might try is if you have a windows startup disc or a windows 7 or vista install disc

boot to the start up disc the choose the command prompt type diskpart
type sel disk 0
press enter
type list part
press enter
this shows a list of the partitions
find the one that is the biggest in size and make a note the partition number... mine is partition 3 for my c drive
type sel part 3 (or whatever yours shows as the biggest in size)
press enter
type active and press enter

doing this will make the partition active and should let you reboot into it but if you're having so much problems with your bootmgr it would be risky.. i take no responsibility if it doesnt work but it is a possible way to get your windows partition to be the active one .. just trying to help.. but again i take no responsibility...

the reason your F11 doesnt work is because of what you said when you was able to gain access to the system... something has changed the D Recovery partiton..
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation