Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have the DV6780se Entertainment Laptop with the Intel Mobil PM965/GM965 chipset and dual core T5450 CPU.  I installed the Windows 7 os without incident but the Aero features weren't working.  I downloaded the drivers, installed them and the machine wouldn't boot. I reinstalled the Windows 7 (Professional) OS and I guess it reverted to the old grahics and chipset drivers because I still can't get the machine to use the Aero features. Any ideas? Is there a way to 'force the issue' via registry manipulation? Is it just a sad fact that this 3 year-old laptop doesn't have the stones to be all it can be?

Any idea whether HP plans on supporting this OS by updating the drivers?

Thanks--

HP Recommended

Fast96 wrote:
Can I flash the Bios with a Windows 7 64bit

Hi,

If I was on Your place I would do that only under Vista. I can't tell You will it work or not but if Bios notes have only informations about Vista then You can't be sure then it will work right under Wuin7 system. It's very risky. Your laptop after this step may be corrupted. I don't recommend to do this under Win7 system.

Reinstall Vista from recovery disk and check is Your DVD working under this system. If not then for sure You must repleca Your drive with new one.

Eivissa wrote:
can you also tell me if this guide counts for the case: changing from XP to Windows7? Are the drivers the same I'd have to install? (dv9000 model) Thank you!!!

Hi,

Yes this guide will work on Your model too. It doesn't metter which system You were using.

pepitovfr wrote:

I just upgraded my HP DV6000 (Intel CPU) from Windows 7 (32 bit) to Windows 7 (64).

Main reason I did it was to be able to use the full 4Gb of installed RAM.

Unfortunately Windows 7 is still only detecting 3.0Gb of usable RAM.

Hi,

Show me photo with this informations ok? Then we will talk about it.

@ wicked_breaks

Hi,

Thank You very much for all Your kind words. Smiley Happy

@perryross38

Hi,

Uninstall driver for Your graphic. (Always uninstall graphic driver in safe mode. Before You will update graphic driver You must always uninstall older first. It's very important.)

On boot press F8 and choose Safe mode.

Resources:

Uninstalling Software in Windows 7

Uninstall or change a program in Windows 7

Restart Your system.

If You install earlier drivers rom Windows Update then after this step Your system will not have yeelow sign with vga video driver. It will use Microsoft driver. This may be Your problem. If You have this situation then restart Your system.

On boot press F8 and choose Safe mode.

You may try again driver from guide. If this will not work uninstall it again.

Try drivers from Nvidia site here (for Win7 32 bit) or here (for Win7 64 bit) (ver 195.62)

Moded drivers:

Remember here about installation procedure which was written in guide:

•    Download driver, double click and select extract,
  •    Download from this site with drivers also INF Modified and replace original INF in extracted folder,
  •    Install & reboot

here (for Win7 32 bit) or here (for Win7 64 bit) (ver 195.39)

here (for Win7 32 bit) or here (for Win7 64 bit) (ver 195.62)

here (for Win7 32 bit) or here (for Win7 64 bit) (ver 195.81)

All 19x.xx Nvidia moded drivers here.

All 18x.xx Nvidia moded drivers here.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

DP  Thanks for the great guide on drivers for Win7!!

Don't know if anyone else was having this problem but I couldn't get Windows 7 to install on my DV6000t CTO.  Here was what worked for me. 

Bios setting, bios entered by hitting F10 key on start up. Phoenix Bios Version F.29. enter bios>system configurations>boot order, set USB HARDDRIVE to top position, F10 to save and exit.

To set up the USB flash drive go to the Microsoft store http:// store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool and follow instructions for installation of Win7 USB/DVD tool. I've only installed Win7 with this tool but it would probably work for a Vista installation and you might be able to use it with any iso image to install other operating systems.

HP Recommended

Daniel,

Clean install on a new WD Scorpio Black, 320 7200 rpm drive.  99% of the above worked.  Thanks. Your info is great.

Have tried numerous times to get my fingerprint reader to be recognized.  Each time it states that reader is not connected.

Help!

HP Recommended

I had a similar problem when I upgraded my Pavillion 6700z CTO. It turned out the fingerprint reader is another model from that supplied here. I went to the driver page for my model, downloaded the Vista 64 drive and installed that after removing the previous driver.

Hopefully you will find as easy a solution.

HP Recommended

Hello & Happy Holidays!

I upgraded my HP Pavillion dv6500 (also known as dv6620em) from France according to these instructions and so far so good, just in case anyone else is looking.  Dommage que ce n'est pas en français pour les français, mais bon, il y en a beaucoup qui lisent l'anglais, alors ça doit le faire.

It's also a shame HP doesn't simply take the inforrmation from this post, do a couple of tests and update the support pages for the series noted in the post.

thanks soooooo much for your effort!

HP Recommended

What model is your fingerprint reader?

HP Recommended

Both my dv6700z CTO and my wifes dv9500z CTO are using  Authen Tec AES2501A fingerprint hardware. These are both AMD machines.

If you turn the notebook over you will see a p/n. I have found using that part number is the most accurate method of getting the exact drivers for a particular model. When you go to HP support, select downloads use that P/N number in the search box.t will take you directly to the downloads for that model and there you can select the Vista 64 drivers. I just discovered that the fingerprint driver available for my dv9500z CTO in HP's driver listing IS NOT the hardware actually in the notebook. I checked the device manager and it shows the AES2501A in the notebook. The HP driver site for this model only has a driver for the AES1610. That is NOT the reader installed in the notebook. As a suggestion I would recommend looking at the device manager and noting the various pieces of hardware BEFORE upgrading to Win7. Things like the fingerprint reader, audio, wi-fi,ethernet, modem and anything else. If you run into a driver issue it will make it easier to find the right driver if you are positive on what hardware is installed

Thanks

HP Recommended

HP provided me with the link to the AES2501A fingerprint reader. It indicates it is good for 32 and 64 bit OS.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&softwareitem=ob-5...

HP Recommended

Hi Daniel,

Thanks a million for your instructions on installing drivers.  I have a question for you not sure if you have ever had this asked.  I am using a HP Pavillion DV6426us laptop that came with Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.  I did a clean install of Windows 7 professional 32 bit.  I see from your instructions that i needed to install the Intel Chipset before installing the other drivers.  I inadvertently went ahead and installed the USB drivers, Sound drivers, etc and have not yet installed the Intel Chipset.  Honestly, I didn't think I needed to install the Intel Chipset driver.

My first question is whether I still need to install it and if I do what changes should i expect; speed, etc?

My other question is can I still install the Intel Chipset driver at this stage considering I have already installed the other drivers as noted in the first paragraph.

I would really appreciate your help on this matter. 

Thanks again!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.