Windows 7 preinstalled but OS installation cd not provided (4495 Views)
Honor Student
deva321
Message 1 of 14 (4,495 Views)

Windows 7 preinstalled but OS installation cd not provided

I have purchased Pavilion dv6-6110tx series recently with Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) preinstalled. But there was not OS installation cd provided along with it. In that case, how can i re-install OS  my on a system crash or failure??

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 14 (4,479 Views)

Re: Windows 7 preinstalled but OS installation cd not provided

Hi:

Your notebook has a recovery partition which you can access by tapping the F11 key to launch the recovery process.

I also recommend you make a set of recovery disks which you can do by running the HP recovery manager program found in your programs menu. These will be good in the event of a hard drive failure or if you decide to install a larger hard drive or solid state drive (SSD).

If you want, you should also be able to purchase a set of recovery disks from HP for a nominal charge.

Paul

Honor Student
deva321
Message 3 of 14 (4,473 Views)

I have taken recovery disc. Is it enough for my OS installation ??

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 14 (4,468 Views)

Hi:

If you made the recovery disks using the Recovery Manager which allows you to create a set one time only then that is all you need.

I would think you would need more than one DVD to create the full set of recovery disks.

Paul

Top Student
cz016m
Message 5 of 14 (4,468 Views)

Paul,

I an A+ certified.  My hard drive crashed on my HP Notebook.  I had already created the system restore disks and a boot disk for Win-7 (64).  Last night, I installed a new, unformatted SSD hard drive and placed the first recovery disk in the optical drive.  Started the computer, booted from the recovery disk.  Followed the on-screen instructions for System Recovery.  After a while, the process stopped and gave an error, which I do not have in front of me right now.  But the recovery process could not continue because it said, "HP is unable to complete system recovery.  Please restart the system", or something to that effect. 

I tried a few different options in the recovery process, none of them worked.  Then I removed the hard drive and formatted it to NTFS using my desktop.  Reinstalled the new hard drive drive and then attempted recovery yet again.  Still got an error. 

My point is, the recovery disks that I made DO NOT WORK.  I have seen no evidence on forums that these disks will actually reinstall the operating system.  I believe they work as a fix it instead of a replace it for the OS.

Then I spent the $16 and ordered the set of operating system disks from HP.  My fingers are crossed in the hopes that THESE disks will actually contain an authorized copy of the Windows 7 operating system that I paid for and am entitled to have.  I think HP's support is some of the worst I've ever seen and therefore, I am left to write on a forum such as this.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 14 (4,461 Views)

Hi:

Let me provide you with one of many threads of evidence that do attest to a set of self-made recovery disks working on a new HDD.

I haven't got time to search to post more of them. But I assure you, there are more.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and/Will-recovery-disks-work-on-my-new-hard-...

There are times when they don't work, as in your situation. 

There are times when the factory recovery disks don't work either.

But to state that you have seen no evidence that these disks will reinstall the OS, suggests you haven't looked very hard, since it took me less than 30 seconds to find one that proves otherwise.

Paul

Top Student
cz016m
Message 7 of 14 (4,457 Views)

Thank you for the evidence.  So any idea why the recovery disks don't work?  Any work arounds?  If not, I'll just wait for the factory disks to arive and see if they work.  If not, I guess I'll have to buy a $100 copy of Win7 and boycott HP.

Thanks for your time.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 14 (4,454 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi:

I don't know why it happens. I wish I did.

I have personally never had any issues whatsoever reinstalling an OS using the HP-provided factory recovery disks on HP business PC's/notebooks.

I have never made or used a set of HP consumer recovery disks but like you, I did purchase a set recently for my dv6810us notebook PC in case I ever need them.

You should have no problem (at least I hope not).

There is this patch which fixes an issue with HP factory consumer recovery Windows 7 CD's when used on a new hard drive.

This doesn't happen to everyone, but if by chance it happens to you, then you will be prepared.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-80183-1&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

Paul

Top Student
cz016m
Message 9 of 14 (4,449 Views)

Paul,

Thanks for the speedy replies!  I will give that exe a shot once I receive my factory disks.  I assume I will be able to create another set of recovery disks once I get the new copy of Win7 installed.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 10 of 14 (4,447 Views)

[ Edited ]

You're very welcome.

You should be able to.

My understanding is the recovery disks restore the PC like the day it shipped from the factory, which would mean you should get all of the software that originally came with your PC including the recovery manager option to create a set of recovery DVD's

It should even create a recovery  partition for you.

As I wrote above, I am only familiar with HP business PC's/notebooks' recovery disks.

All but one of the sets I have, just reinstall the OS and bundled programs. All but one do not create recovery partition and and all but one do not provide the option to create a set of recovery disks.

The only set that does is the set for my newest PC-- an 8200 Elite CMT. I also note that this recovery disk set is made by Cyberlink, where none of the others seem to be.

This would lead me to believe your Cyberlink recovery set will also do all of the above.

To the best of my knowledge, it will not reinstall MS Office Starter 2010, if that free application came with your notebook.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation