Question

Student
Rhythmdvl
Message 1 of 2 (285 Views)

Windows 7 reinstall without losing data/settings?

Will the recovery disks allow me to reinstall Windows without deleting all data?

From what I understand, retail versions of Windows 7 allow you to follow an “upgrade” path when reinstalling such that you reset/reinstall Windows but leave all programs, data, etc. intact (example here:

https://windowssecrets.com/top-story/win7s-no-reformat-nondestructive-reinstall). Can that be done with the recovery disks made from a 2009 Dv6t?

If not, I have several legal retail OEM copies of Windows 7 (wife and I run a policy consultancy out of our house; I generally build our desktops and servers). The copies are identical to the HP in terms of level and 64-bit. If these allow me to do a non-destructive install, will I be able to validate it?

Thanks~

Associate Professor
VJ_R
Message 2 of 2 (278 Views)

Re: Windows 7 reinstall without losing data/settings?

Hi

The Hp recovery Disk will not be giving you an option to upgrade because you are reinstalling the Same version of OS that the notebook came with so if you run the recovery Disk the data will be lost unless you back it up.. (If you use the Bata backup in the recovery manager it only back's up user files not all the data)

Were as on the other hand you can use a retail disk to and if you are running on windows 7 and if you are using a retail windows 7 disk to upgrade with out data lose i don't think you can do that way.. and you may a little difficulty finding the right drivers for some devices..

Hope this helps.

***** Click the KUDOS Thumbs UP (Like) on the left to say 'Thanks'*****

****Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution”&"Kudos"if it solves your problem.****

-VJ

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation