Windows 8.1 Apps not starting (293 Views)
Honor Student
DaveGib
Message 1 of 6 (293 Views)

Windows 8.1 Apps not starting

Hi,

I have a new HP Envy 15, i7, 8gb ram Laptop with full HD touchscreen, which I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and am now having problems with some of the preinstalled apps not opening, as well as not being able to play wmv files.

When I click or touch for example, Freshpaint, all the apps disappear, and the screen turns orange, as though Freshpaint is about to start, but before it can open the screen reverts back to the Home screen.

If I swipe in from the left to display any open apps, the app icons are displayed as being open, but if I click on one, it attempts to open, then dissapears, ( but remains in the list of open apps)

I have checked for all updates and restarted my computer ( several times) 

ie explorer, the app store and desktop apps open, but all the others give the same symptoms as described above i.e. mail, calender, people, maps, skype, weather, Games, Music, Camera and Video all wont work.

I am new to Windows 8, so if anyone has a solution, please explain any steps that might be necessary.

Many thanks

Dave

Honor Student
DaveGib
Message 2 of 6 (280 Views)

Re: Windows 8.1 Apps not starting

:smileysad:I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling - with no effect....

HP
Dunidar
Message 3 of 6 (218 Views)

Hello DaveGib

I am sorry to hear you are having issues opening Apps in Windows 8. I would like to direct your attention to an tutorial on www.eightforums.com where they address this issue. Simply click on Fix Store Apps and Tiles that are Not Working or Responding in Windows 8 and 8.1 and follow the instructions provided. Remember to stop troubleshooting once the issue is resolved.

I hope this helps you find a resolution to your App issue. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
DaveGib
Message 4 of 6 (186 Views)

Hi Dunidar,

Thanks for responding, and the link, but unfortunately the Apps in question still do not work.

I followed the instructions and ran the repair tool, then when that did not work i followed all the other instructions, i.e. synced licences, cleared stores cache, set app update to auto etc.

When I ran the trouble shooter it had a warning for display adaptor might be out of date and also There might be missing or corrupt files.

the troble shooter said it did some changes,but the apps will still not open.

The apps are working as the data updates, in for example the news, but i cannot open them, and if I go to task manager the app is listed as being open, and if i try

I tried deleting and going to the store and reloaded but it still wont work!

HP
Dunidar
Message 5 of 6 (174 Views)

Hello DaveGib

Thank you for responding to my reply. I am sorry that document was unable to resolve your issue. Unfortunately, at this point the only option you have that I can see is to Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 8) and go back to Windows 8. Once you have restored your Windows 8 I would recommend you uninstall the Apps giving you the issue before updating to Windows 8.1. Once you have Windows 8.1 working correctly try to install the Apps.

This should resolve your issue, but I have not actually seen this issue before. If you could post the results of these steps it would be appreciated. Thank you again for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
DaveGib
Message 6 of 6 (165 Views)

Hi Dunidar,

It looks like that is my only option, but I have some work to catch up on finish, before i can spend the time to do that, so i will get back to you when done, which will probably be in about a week.

Dave

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation