Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@Aussie-Tech wrote:

Fix for me:
Remove the HP Simplepass software.

Install the Lenovo Fingerprint reader software for the same Validity Component from here:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_AU/detail.page?DocID=DS034485

Has anyone else tried this option?

HP Recommended

In regards the Lenovo software, it only seemed to work partially in the end.

I had to use the built-in biometric controls of Windows 8.1 in order to log on to Windows using the sensor (look under PC Settings in Windows).

I haven't managed to get the biometric password vault working via SimplePass, like I could in Windows 8 (very annoying).

HP Recommended

MARCH 2014 - After the recent Window 8 update, my fingerprint scanner stopped working all together.  I routinely have issues with this thing, but usually only when trying to logon to my computer from a fresh start or from sleep mode.  Note that my driver does not have a sleepmode setting like someone else offered. 

When this does not work, it is quite annoying because it is probably THE BEST thing about my computer!  Whomever invented passwords needs to be educated!

When I went to check what was going on with my biometric hardware, I could not even see it on the list.  I had to show hidden hardware and it told me that I needed to reconnect my biometric sensor to my computer.  Whatever that means! 

Here is what I did and it is now working again....  I checked that my driver software was updated and it was.  So I checked uninstall but left the driver hardware on my computer and did a re-start.  It started working again with all the same settings and works just fine. 

This hardware's  problems always seem to be Microsoft Windows related - so my guess is that Microsoft is bullying it into not working.  Kind of like not syncing my Google calender anymore but gives LinkedIn my Google contacts?  Seriously WTH Microsoft!  Shame!  Word of advise people, do not connect ANYTHING to your Microsoft Live account, which you probably have if you have any XBox for your kiddos.  Microsoft does not respect privacy and makes Facebook look pathetic!

Anyways.... my HP Fingerprint Sensor is my favorite feature and I hope I never have to buy a computer again without it!  KUDDOS HP!

HP Recommended

I'm having exactly the same issue - would you be able to step-by-step explain how you got yours to work again? It sounds like the best solution I've come across so far but am unsure what you mean by 'uninstall it but leave it on your computer' (I am completely not tech-savvy at all.....)

Thanks!

HP Recommended

HP ENVY m4 Notebook PC

Serial #: [Personal Information Removed]

Product #: D1D58UA#ABA

After updating to W8.1 the fingerprint device stopped working. I have to type in my password to access laptop. I checked compatibility and the softpass application would not connect to the Internet. I WAS connected to the internet and was able to access other websites. I ran the test again and received the "NO CONNECTION" error.

It appears Softpass software developers have not created a driver for the new W8.1. I tried all the solutions posted (most of the were for W8) and still no resolution.

HP since this is an issue with your hardware and the software provide with the laptop, you need to push a fix not have users run around looking for fixes. Please resolve your issue. Thank you 

HP Recommended

Hi all. I believe I've sussed it out.

The first time I installed Windows 8.1, I installed it clean (no upgrade) and manually installed SimplePass and all of the rest of the suite. I have just restored my machine to Windows 8 (using the USB recovery media I had made). Once I had upgraded all of the HP Software via the HP Support Assistant, I ran all available Windows updates (excluding Bing Desktop). I read through the instructions in the HP Support Assistant for upgrading to Win 8.1. It specifically said to perform the upgrade via the Windows Store App.

I let this run for a couple of hours and now, as an upgraded install, all of the SimplePass and Fingerprint reader components are working. If you haven't created recovery media, you may be able to get your machine put back to factory installation by contacting HP Support.

HP Recommended

on my lapi hp envy fingerprint scanner doesn't working....i have uninstalled the simple pass app from lapi...what should i do.... :Crying:

HP Recommended

wait for a fix from HP - I tried everything except system restore (since it would be too painful to restore all my programs and data after a restore).  Nothing worked

HP Recommended
Hi, I pulled my hair out for two weeks (it was update 1 to win 8.1 that took compatibility away for me), then stumbled upon the following solution: First, go to the validity website and get their sensor driver software: http://www.validityinc.com/software/hp/wbf.php Their site warns that the driver will not work with Simplepass or other software, but simply let you log in to windows. 2. From control panel/device manager, find the biometric entry. Uninstall the older driver, selecting the option to delete the driver upon unistall. Reboot. 3. Check that the driver has not reinstalled itself in device manager. If not, great, now install the validty .exe file 4. This alone was not enough for me to get it working: I found via the website below that Windows Biometric Framework must be enabled via the Local Group Policy Editor -- all steps easily followable at http://all4naija.blogspot.ca/2013/11/how-to-enable-windows-biometric.htmlwebsitethat 5. I tried installing simplepass, but it will not start up. I was resigned to having win logon only, but the fingerprint reader works great with LastPass in firefox actually! Yea! Hope that helps others Bzb
HP Recommended
By the way, mine was a 2740p tablet with a Validity VFS451 sensor. -- originally ran Protectools, but Simplepass worked fine until win 8.1
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.