Question

Top Student
Kevin_NL_
Message 1 of 3 (120 Views)

Windows 8.1 UI glitching?

Hi there,

So I was installing the HP 3D DriveGuard driver, because I wanted the last 'unkown device' to be removed from my device manager. But after this installation, my whole Windows 8.1 UI went drunk or something: I cannot see the 'shutting down' or 'rebooting' text anymore, my lockscreen is gone, my login field is gone. Luckily I use my fingerprint reader, because I don't know if I would be able to log in anymore without it. I have removed the 3D DriveGuard driver, rebooted, no result. I performed a system restore to a restore point before the installation, no result. I want this glitch fixed, and I do not want to reinstall my OS. I hope someone has a solution for this problem.

Thanks,

Kevin

(Dutch)

HP Pavilion dv6-6b41ed with Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Windows 8.1 Pro

(Pictures of the glitch)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ths3gtph83mfeg0/20140817_163247.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/corib2v0uz98i27/20140817_174653.jpg

HP Support Agent
Futoji
Message 2 of 3 (81 Views)

Re: Windows 8.1 UI glitching?

Hello Kevin_NL,

It appears that after installing 3D drivegaurd, something happen to the Windows UI. That since you've uninstalled and completed a restore which haven't resolved the issue for you. I will try to assist you with this.

Looking into things, there are only two options that I could think of that may help you.
The first is trying a BIOS update: Updating the BIOS.

The second, would be a system refresh: Refresh Your PC to Resolve Problems (Windows 8).

If those both fail, then you will have to reinstall the OS: Overview of Recovering the OS or Reinstalling the Operating System.

I hope one of the first 2 are able to help you.
Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" at the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!

Futoji
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
Kevin_NL_
Message 3 of 3 (71 Views)

Re: Windows 8.1 UI glitching?

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Meanwhile I have discovered the cause of the problem: it was the faulty set of Windows Updates. Sadly though, after a few more reboots my laptop refused to boot Windows at all. I have tried many things, but eventually I had to reinstall the OS. Thanks for your support!

Kevin

(Dutch)

HP Pavilion dv6-6b41ed with Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Windows 8.1 Pro

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation