Question

Honor Student
dragonit
Message 1 of 12 (8,512 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows 8 RTM WiFi problem

I have a Pavilion HDX9000T CTO Notebook PC, the Dragon.

HP has only support for Windows Vista for this machine, I had been running Windows 7 with no problem.

I want to use Windows 8, and I have access to the RTM of Windows 8 through Microsoft Developer MSDN.

I installed Windows 8 Enterprise on my HDX9300 and wireless networking in not working.

I did a clean install, so it's using the drivers that came with Windows 8.

Device Manager shows that the Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN is working properly, but Windows shows that WiFi is off.

The WiFi button on the keyboard of the laptop is blue, and goes to orange when I touch it, and goes back to blue when I touch it again.

I don't know if this is a driver problem, or something particular to how wifi works on this laptop, or maybe something that Microsoft can fix in Windows.

I'd sure like to be able to get it working so I can use Windows 8 on this machine.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 12 (8,505 Views)

Re: Windows 8 RTM WiFi problem

Hi:

I would try the W7 driver for the wireless card directly from Intel.

32 bit:  Select the first download listed.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21044&ProdId=2753&lang=eng&OSVersion=...

64 bit:  Select the first download listed.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21045&ProdId=2753&lang=eng&OSVersion=...

Paul

Honor Student
dragonit
Message 3 of 12 (8,502 Views)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

I did as you suggested, and the driver is now updated using the link you gave me, but I'm seeing the same problem.

I think the problem I'm seeing is that Windows 8 is seeing the adapter as turned off, and the HP Wireless Assistant software is used on this laptop to enable/disable WiFi.

I tried running the installer for the "HP Wireless Assistant", which I think is the root of the problem I'm seeing. I ran it set to Windows Vista compatibility mode, and as Administrator, and it's giving this error message:

"The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2753."

I wonder if there's a registry setting where I can just set WiFi to on and leave it there.

Since I had to do a clean install of Windows 8, none of the HP apps that came with the laptop are there, and they won't install correctly in Windows 8. At least the Wireless Assistant software won't.

I may rebuild the laptop to it's original Vista, and try upgrading to Windows 7 then to Windows 8, so that I can keep the installed apps.

Thanks again,

Bren

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 12 (8,496 Views)

Hi, Bren:

Yes the wireless assistant is probably the problem.

Bring the notebook back to W7.

You need to have the notebook's wireless turned on with the wireless assistant. Then you can uninstall the wireless assistant.

Check to make sure the wireless adapter is still on and connecting to the internet even with the W/A uninstalled.

Now you should be able to clean install W8, and the wireless still work.

Paul

Honor Student
hugomesser
Message 5 of 12 (8,323 Views)

Hi Paul

I am facing a similar problem. I have just bought a HP Pavilion g6 and installed windows 8 on it. The system had windows 7 home edition installed on it and I guess I removed that completely by installing windows 8. I couldn't find a way to go back to windows 7. I think re-installing 7 would be a bit elaborate. 

Is there another way or do I need to install windows 7 again, then remove the wifi adapter and then re install windows 8?

Hugo

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 12 (8,318 Views)

Hi:

It appears the only way the W/A will install is if you install it on Windows 7, turn the wireless on with it, then uninstall the W/A and make sure you are still connnected.

Below is an easy way to reinstall W7 if you can read the whole 25 character product key on the bottom of your PC:

If you can read the 25 character Microsoft windows 7 product key, you can download plain Windows 7 ISO files to burn to a DVD for the version of windows that came installed on your PC, and that is listed on the Microsoft COA sticker on your PC's case.

Burn the ISO using the Burn as ISO option on your DVD burning program and burn at the slowest possible speed your program will allow. This will create a bootable DVD.

Use the 25 character product key on the PC to activate the installation.

The key will activate either a 32 or 64 bit installation.

Then go to the PC's support and driver page to install the drivers you need.

Link to the W7 ISO file downloads is below.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Paul

Honor Student
hugomesser
Message 7 of 12 (8,313 Views)

Hi Paul 

Ok then thats wat i will do. Will it also work of i install Windows 7 professional instead of home? Ive got à cd and code for that.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 12 (8,312 Views)

Yes, it will.

Since you have the DVD and key, all you need to do is use those.

Paul

Student
zalaparth
Message 9 of 12 (7,662 Views)

Windows 8 WiFi problem

I'm using HP Pavilion g6 laptop

i installed Windows 8 Pro x64 bit version

Windows 8 does not support or detect my Wifi system and my Bluetooth system also

when i press key for turnning on my wifi the key does not respond to me and i installed Ralink wifi adaptor driver

please help

Windows 7 is support wifi, but windows 8 is doesn't support...

Student
nihil_imperator
Message 10 of 12 (5,700 Views)

Paul,

It seems unbelievable to me that a manufacturer as big as HP can't get something as fundamental as wifi access to work on Windows 8. Without it, my less than two year old laptop is essentially a brick. If I go back to Windows 7 to implement the "solution" you recommended, I would lose all the data I've built up over the last year and a half, or I'd have to dedicate an entire weekend to backing everything up. If I had to do that, I'd never buy an HP product again. There was no need for HP to pre-install this Wireless Assistant in the first place when Windows already had this functionality, but if they're going to pre-load our computers with bloatware, they should at least make sure that said bloatware doesn't render our computers useable.

Does HP have any intention of updating Wireless Assistant to work with Windows 8? If not, I think this is really unreasonable, and a lot of former HP customers (i.e., millions of laptop owners who upgrade to Windows 8) are going to lose faith in HP because of this and never buy their products again.

-Drew

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation