Question

Tutor
CliffPre
Message 1 of 11 (6,912 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows 8 and dv6000

[ Edited ]

I haven’t seen anything posted yet so I thought I’d let anyone who is curious know: Yes, you can upgrade your DV6000 to Windows 8.  I did mine a couple of days ago and it seems to be running fine so far.  The procedure described in the thread General Windows 7 Upgrade Guide for HP Laptops for Level 3 notebooks pretty much works for Windows 8, but with even less work.

My hardware configuration since the DV6000 class of laptops had so many hardware configurations.  Not sure if I have a DV6000 or DV6100 since my case has one product number and my BIOS has a different product number.

Intel Centrino Duo T5600 @ 1.83 GHz
Intel ICH7 chipset
nVidia GeForce Go 7400 graphics processor
Built in webcam
SD Card slot

I did an image backup of my hard disk by moving the drive from my laptop to another computer and using Acronis True Image Backup (free versions available from Seagate and Western Digital).  Replaced the hard disk and ran the Win8 Setup program from a DVD burned from the ISO image created by the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant.

I selected “Custom” for the type of installation so I could change the partitioning of my hard disk.  Like most HP Laptops, I had a Recovery Partition and an unnamed (diagnostic?) partition.  I used the install program to delete all of the partitions so that Win8 would have use of the entire disk.

The Windows 8 installer identified and installed drivers for most of the hardware on my laptop.  The drivers not installed by the installer were for the Conexant audio, the Conexant soft modem, the Quick Launch buttons, the Ricoh 5in1 Card reader, and the nVidia GPU.  All but the Ricoh card reader and nVidia GPU driver were downloaded by Windows Update during the first update pass.  If you are connected to the internet during the install, the installer can download the drivers during installation.

The installer correctly identified the Ricoh memory card reader and buried a message in the Action Center.  The message automatically points you to an HP FTP server to download the driver for the memory card reader.

The only driver that had to be downloaded and installed manually was for the nVidia GPU.  The latest Win7 ver 179.48 driver from the nVidia website worked well.  Don’t use the Vista driver from the HP website.  The tiles disappear with it.

And that’s it.  I was able to find newer drivers for the Intel PRO/Wireless and I’m still checking the other hardware.  But the Windows 8 installer did most of the work and did it correctly.

Windows 8 feels a lot quicker than WinXP.  It definitely starts up faster and other Window operations feel quicker overall.  The Metro interface is a little quirky but I can live with it.

So if you have a DV6000 similar to mine, yes, you can put Win8 on it.

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 2 of 11 (6,874 Views)

Windows 8 and dv6000

Great post CliffPre,

Thank you for taking the time to share this information.

Before an upgrade, one can also run the Upgrade Assistant software, which will scan your PC and generate a report on what is currently installed on your PC is compatible with W8.
http://goo.gl/z8LVf

More than likely HP is not going to support hardware for W8 on any system purchased before Oct 1st 2011.

Here's another extensive document that provides some valid information on upgrading to Windows 8 http://goo.gl/CO6uV

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Tutor
CliffPre
Message 3 of 11 (6,858 Views)

Re: Windows 8 and dv6000

One caveat when using the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant from Windows XP:

You will not be given the opportunity to "Install by creating media".  That is, you cannot create a separate DVD or bootable flash drive to do your Win8 upgrade.

You have to download using Vista or Win7 to create media.

People are complaining all over the Microsoft Forums since this is not mentioned anywhere that I have seen so far.

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 4 of 11 (6,848 Views)

Windows 8 and dv6000

This document has that info, but you're right CliffPre.

Upgrade to Windows 8 document
http://goo.gl/CO6uV
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
saloio
Message 5 of 11 (6,517 Views)

greats

i have a hp dv6175ea and i have install the win 8 x86 on it.

it work fine but i can't find working driver for the built in camera.

what the driver compativel with win8 for it.

thanks for the answer

Student
majorun
Message 6 of 11 (6,296 Views)

Windows runs well but webcam doesnt work!

Tutor
CliffPre
Message 7 of 11 (6,278 Views)

I didn't have to install any drivers for my camera.   Windows installed a "USB 2.0 Camera" driver under "Imaging devices".  And it's been working fine.  Just did a Skype video call last night.

What is listed under your Device Manager window?  Are there any yellow exclamation points?

Honor Student
Tristen
Message 8 of 11 (1,824 Views)

Hi, I just recently upgraded to Windows 8. Everything works fine for the most part except one thing. Everytime I play any audio or video, there's some sort of flickering/stuttering. I have a dv6000. Idk what to do. I'm a newbie at this tech stuff. Any suggestions? 

Tutor
CliffPre
Message 9 of 11 (1,807 Views)

Are you playing your audio/video off your local hard disk or over the internet like YouTube? 

Honor Student
Tristen
Message 10 of 11 (1,800 Views)

Both!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation