Question

Tutor
3moose
Message 1 of 5 (3,960 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows 8 and external USB hard drives

I have a new Envy dv7 with Windows 8 and an Iomega Prestige 1TB external hard drive that I use  successfully on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 systems. It behaves erratically in Windows 8. Sometimes it is not recognized at all. Sometimes it is, but when trying to access it through Explorer, Windows locks up requiring a forced power down. Other times, you can access it succesfully and even copy a file to it with Explorer, but if you try to copy multiple files with the same drag and drop, it displays the file copy time calculation window, but then never finishes the calculation and just stays there. Also, when trying an Xcopy in the command prompt with mutiple folders and / or files, it copies the first file, then hangs the command window. The system has a newly updated BIOS and all of the Windows updates installed. Ideas?

Tutor
3moose
Message 2 of 5 (3,944 Views)

Re: Windows 8 and external USB hard drives

After chatting with HP technical support, they suggested reformatting the drive, even though I had already run a CHKDSK. So I returned the drive to my Windows 7 system, copied all the files off it that I was worried about (worked perfectly), then did a complete reformat of the drive. I then used my backup script to re-copy off the ket folders and files back to the external drive. Worked perfectly. Moved the external drive back to Windows and tried to do my scripted backup - same results as before - the command prompt hung up. After I powered down the drive, everything snapped back to life. I then took a very old Maxtor 35 GB external drive and attached it to my Window 8 system, and it worked perfectly.

Tutor
3moose
Message 3 of 5 (3,929 Views)

Tried moving the Iomega drive from a USB 3.0 port (the drive is 3.0 and 2.0 compatible) to a 2.0 port in Windows 8 and it now works fine. No idea whether the problem with USB 3.0 is with Windows 8, HP, or Iomega.

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 4 of 5 (3,893 Views)

Hi,
Please write your notebook product number (p/n) and country of purchase.

Resource:
How to Locate the Notebook product number (p/n)

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Honor Student
binojah
Message 5 of 5 (525 Views)

compaq 6720s

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation