Question

Top Student
msangan
Message 1 of 9 (456 Views)

'Windows Failed to start' error

Hi

My HP Pavilion was working fine till this morning, The problem begun when I restarted the system after a major windows update, it's started going for system startup repair loop indefinitely.

Product: HP Pavilion DV6 Model:dv6t 1200 ; OS: WIN 7

'Windows Failed to start' error while booting. 'Startup repair has tried several times but still cannot determine the cause of the problem' when tried to perform auto fix. I tried system recovery option also, not working.

It will be great if anyone can help me to fix this problem. I've WIN 7 DVD and am fine with reinstalling the OS and formatting the system. Please guide me the steps needs to be followed in order to fix the issue.

Thanks

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 9 (448 Views)

Re: 'Windows Failed to start' error

No need to use your Windows 7 DVD, if the laptop came preinstalled with Windows 7. Start tapping away at the F11 key immediately after powering on.This should boot into Recovery Manager where you can reset to Factory.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 3 of 9 (446 Views)

You may be able to get the drive working again by removing it and attaching it to a desktop machine as the 2nd drive and use the host desktop machine to do a check disk on the hard drive.  This will clear any file corruption that may have been caused by the failed update.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

Top Student
msangan
Message 4 of 9 (439 Views)

Thanks for the response. I tried to do the recovery by pressing F11, but still It's again going back to Windows error recovery mode with STARTUP REPAIR option.

When i bought the laptop it came with VISTA then i've upgraded that into WIN 7.

Is there anything to goback to VISTA..?

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 5 of 9 (413 Views)

I do think you may get your drive back if you just attach it to a desktop machine (find a friend good with computers to help you do this) but assuming you had Vista 64 bit, you will see order recovery disks in the drivers:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2100&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3945...

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

Top Student
msangan
Message 6 of 9 (381 Views)

Unfortunately I could not able to get my drive..

Also it seems the other option, to place the recovery disk order for vista is not available.
Provost
CherylG
Message 7 of 9 (373 Views)

[ Edited ]

Follow the Guides here on installing Windows 7:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1_2.htm

http://youtu.be/mME9VLT7-xw

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 8 of 9 (359 Views)

Here is a way to download and make your own recovery disks:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/3316.2-1-microsoft-windows-7-...

Provost
CherylG
Message 9 of 9 (351 Views)

[ Edited ]

The links to order are often not working.Phone HP to order Recovery Disks.If you are in US/Ca call 800-474-6836 .If you are elsewhere,choose your country here>> Contact HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation