11-04-2009 12:45 AM
My computer will not log into OS (Windows XP). It gets to the XP loading screen then displays a blue screen for a second then goes to a black background screen that gives me about 4-5 options to start in safe mode with a 30 second countdown, but when I try to select a safe mode option it doesn't work. It also doesn't let me select last known good configuration. It restarts to the Windows XP loading screen and does it all over again. Is there anyway i can fix this? I took it to Geek Squad and they just said that it might be a hard drive problem, and that my laptop is overheating. They wanted me to send it in for over $350 to get it assessed...which I just don't think is worth it.
A friend told me that I can just reformat and/or purchase a new hard drive and install it myself. I'm not too computer savvy, so can anyone please tell me what the best thing to do is? Thank you I appreciate your time and help!
- Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 8)
- Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 7)
- Troubleshooting HP System Recovery Problems (Windows 8)
- Read this before ordering your Recovery Discs! (US and Canada Only)
- Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 8)
- Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 7)