Question

Honor Student
Kellie-CM
Message 1 of 12 (22,881 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows could not complete the installation. To Install Windows..

on this computer, restart the installation.

Hi - am trying to complete the recovery of the Vista OS utilizing Recovery Disks sent out by HP.  It runs the entire sequence and uses both disks, installs all the software, does the updates and on what appears final reboot displays this message in a black screen. when you click ok, it reboots and rerunning the install does not resolve. Am in endless loop.

I can see the desktop if I end the runonce process in task manager but if I close the Install Windows window, it goes into the reboot and the loop starts over.

Please someone help !!

this is the error message after running HP System Recovery disks on HP pavilion dv6700 laptop. OS is Vista Home Premium. p/n KC415UA service tag dv6756us

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 12 (22,832 Views)

Re: Windows could not complete the installation. To Install Windows..

Enter BIOS by tapping/holding F10 key immediately after powering on. Use Diagnostics to test your hdd & memory.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
Kellie-CM
Message 3 of 12 (22,823 Views)

ok I have the test in process will post the results soon.

Honor Student
Kellie-CM
Message 4 of 12 (22,817 Views)

thank you for your assistance. Hdd has passed the quick test, but failed the comprehensive test. the memory has passed successfully. Is this test conclusive. Should I replace the HDD? if yes, can I get a suggestion as to the safest place to buy replacement. do you have any idea about how much replacement HDD will run? thanks again.

Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 12 (22,811 Views)

I usually order from Newegg.com but you can probably find one at any local store such as Best Buy, Staples,etc. Newegg usually has better prices. You need a 2.5" mobile sata hdd. The old hdd will also have a little plastic adapter across the pins that you will need to remove and place on the pins of new hdd.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
Poker
Message 6 of 12 (22,125 Views)

my hard drive crashed.  I bought a new one and installed it,  now using factory cd's to recover to get Windows could not complete the installation. To Install Windows on this windows on this computer, restart the installation.  I've done this several times to no avail.  Product: wh200ua#aba

Please help

Provost
CherylG
Message 7 of 12 (22,119 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Poker

Try booting with a utilty cd to delete any partitions, create one & format hdd. I have had good results with the free Partition Wizard .Download the bootable cd iso here .Get ImgBurn here to burn the image to cd.

After, boot with Recovery Disks again.

Honor Student
Poker
Message 8 of 12 (22,093 Views)

Thanks, will give that a shot!!

Student
medis
Message 9 of 12 (22,059 Views)

Hi CherylG,

Can you please be more specific with your steps.

I have created the bootable disk from the link you provided.I created a partition(30 gb and named it as c) and was able to format that partition too.But as soon as I insert the HP Recovery Disk,I have two options checked(selected by default) during Factory Image recovery.

1)Reformatting the windows partition of your hard disk drive

2)Reinstalling original content.Both of them are checked by default.

Both of them completes to 100% .It asks me for Supplemental Disc.I clicked cancel and removed dvd.System rebooted once.System rebooted twice.After second reboot,there is a HP S/W Installation wizard which took about 5-10 minutes to complete the installation.system rebooted thrice.I see a windows first time preparation screen and after that I see a Please wait....but nothing happens.If I manually reboot the machine then I see Windows could no complete the installation.....message.

I have read so many forums and brain dead now after trying too manythings....Any help will be appreciated......pleae let me know if you need any more info.

(Note:Here is my scenario.I had hard drive crash.Bought new hdd(from BestBuy WD Scorpio Blue 320gb (model-wdbabc3200anc)) and then ordered Recovery DVD from HP and my OS is Vista home premium.Model is DV6500 CTO)

Provost
CherylG
Message 10 of 12 (22,050 Views)

@medis

You really need to use the entire hdd as 1 partition before booting with Recovery dvd. I have also seen reports of having to leave the laptop on overnight after that last reboot with the windows preparation screen with message to 'Please wait'. Eveidently sometimes it is indeed a looong wait.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation