11-15-2013 07:58 AM
HP Envy m6-131089 Laptop
The above is a fairly recent purchase with Windows 8 preinstalled.
On attempting the Microsoft 8.1 Upgrade, this fails partly through the 'setting up devices' stage with the above error message.
I've checked that all outstanding and HP updates have been run, also disconnected external peripherals (mouse, external drive) without success.
Is there a solution to this problem?
11-15-2013 09:08 PM
I purchased same in last couple of weeks and am having precisely the same issue - many blogs on this issue, but with some pretty radical solutions!!!
Surely HP and MS have a better solution for their customers?
11-16-2013 11:12 PM
I had the same problem with a new HP Pavilion TouchSmart 11-e004au Notebook PC. Having read about a number of possible causes, I removed the couple of apps that I had installed, turned WiFi onto "Airplane mode on" (F12) button and turned off all of the Norton protection (that was installed on the PC as a trial when I purchased it) that relate to the internet (under Settings e.g. intrusion protection, browser protection, smart firewall, etc). When asked about the duration of the change, I made each "Permanent".
I don't know which of the above was the problem but on the next attempt 8.1 loaded fine.
I have turned back on Norton protection for now but will soon remove Norton completely (via Control Panel or Norton site) and start Microsoft Defender which comes free with Windows 8.1.
Hope this helps.
11-17-2013 10:53 AM
I encountered the same problem. Before beginning the Windows 8.1 upgrade, I updated all my drivers and installed all windows 8 updates as per the directions. I got the same error "system thread exception not handled" when the device update reached 89% updated. Upon reboot it provided me with the same error code. 0Xc1900101-0x30018.
Next I tried resetting all the devices back to factory settings, and even tried turning off my firewall. Same problem was encountered on my second attempt to install 8.1 upgrade.
My 1 year warranty expired 10 days ago and HP would not take my call and referred me back to a "pay for support" hotline. Not too happy about this - and would normally cough up the dough - but I have no confidence they would solve the problem..
A google query shows lots of people encountering the same problem - and as mentioned the only one that seemed to almost work was some guy taking out a board with his screw driver!!!!
Has anybody figured out the solution yet?
11-17-2013 02:11 PM
Perhaps you could try turning off more than the firewall (see my post above)? I obviously don't know if removing all of my installed apps was a factor in my success (I doubt it) but this could be a last resort.
As an update, I deleted Norton using the removal tool on their site even though it had heaps of time before the trial period expired. The removal tool seemed very thorough and is probably a better option than using Control Panel which I have read can leave bits of Norton in odd places.
Defender then loaded OK (apparently it won't install if there is a thrid party security system installed).
11-19-2013 06:12 AM
This will cause by Ralink and some of the drivers..
Go to "RUN"
In "services" Tab
check "Hide all Microsoft services" and "disable All"
Apply Ok then Restart.
Try to Update... It will Work...!!!!!!
11-19-2013 07:57 AM
Re: Using msconfig
I followed instruction as written - still no luck - still stopping at 89% of devices.
Based on other postings in the Microsoft forums - it does look like the Ralink and possibly other drivers are causing the problems
Any other suggestions on how to disable and still do upgrade?
11-19-2013 01:50 PM
Fully updated brand new HP Pavilion Model 15-e040ca and got this error trying to update to 8.1
After at least 5 tries I contacted HP support and after spending an hour on the phone they couldn't resolve the problem. HP support felt it was a Microsoft update problem and I should talk to Microsoft support directly.
My final attempt today I did the following;
Completely removed Norton Internet Security using the Norton Removal Tool.
Removed the Ralink WiFi device in Task Manager.
Updated the AMD Radeon graphics driver directly from the HP support website.
Disabled in Task Manager the sound card, bluetooth, and AMD Radeon graphics adapter.
In msconfig disabled all non Microsoft services.
AND I STILL GET THE ERROR!
Having Googled the problem it seems that disabling the Ralink WiFi in the BIOS or removing the card is the best solution. Neither will work for me because removing the card would undoubtedly void the warranty and the BIOS has no provision to disable the WiFi card. So all I can do is wait using version 8 until somebody finds the solution; updated driver etc.
11-19-2013 03:00 PM
I have the same problem with a refurbed HP 700-056. Restored the factory system, did all the MS updates, updated the Apps,updated the HP drivers, removed Norton. Still fails. Tried the MSCONFIG solution. Still failed. I've looked at the windowsupdate.log and it is of not help (to me) in locating the cause of the failure. The error is "system thread exception not handled ..." and the follow-on 0xc1900101-0x30018. I've run out of ideas to try and I'm waiting for someone with insight to help.
11-19-2013 03:17 PM
This worked for me for some reason I never even knew there was an issue, then I did a factory reset on my laptopto refresh it and this just happens no matter what I try
- Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 8)
- Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 7)
- Troubleshooting HP System Recovery Problems (Windows 8)
- Read this before ordering your Recovery Discs! (US and Canada Only)
- Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 8)
- Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 7)