Windows will not boot after installing Linux on HP dv7t
Replies (18)

Top Student
stokk
Message 11 of 19 (483 Views)

Re: Windows will not boot after installing Linux on HP dv7t

[ Edited ]

I will definitely give Mint a try :smileyhappy:

My experience with grub/grub2 is virtually non-existent so I dont know if I am comfortable downgrading to Grub...

fdisk -l output is below:

Disk /dev/sda: 750.2 GB, 750156374016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 91201 cylinders, total 1465149168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x5886c2ab

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1              63        2047         992+  42  SFS
Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.
/dev/sda2   *        2048      409599      203776   42  SFS
/dev/sda3          409600  1002043391   500816896   42  SFS
/dev/sda4      1002043392  1465147119   231551864   83  Linux

edit----

Also, what are my options here... if I unstall Ubuntu would I be able to boot to the Windows partition?  You suggested repairing the HDD as an attached external drive -- how is that different than repairing it as an internal drive?  Also, I did partition the disk into a 150 GB partition then installed Ubuntu to it... is that what you meant?

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 12 of 19 (471 Views)

You can uninstall Ubuntu and fix the MBR. Go to a wiki of Ubuntu on ubuntu.com and have a look how to. When it's done properly, you may get the access to Windows again..

How did you do the partitioning? HP laptops are sold with 4 primary partitions already. Did you delete the HP Tools partition? 

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 13 of 19 (465 Views)

Thanks, Pepe999!

Stokk,  Here are a couple of links for that MBR fix to help you along:

sevenforums - Windows 7 - Fix MBR

The sevenforums has graphics to help illustrate the "how to" and then calls this Microsoft doc:

Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment – Repair Startup Issues - MBR

As to the Grub / Grub2 caper:

Grub is the older of the two, simple, basic, works.  Less Flexible.

Grub2 is newer, more complex, more powerful, and harder to get it to do what you want.

We don't run Ubuntu, Mint or otherwise... I don't know off hand if you have a choice which Grub you get with Mint - they may force you to use the new, awesome, and "in Beta forever" Grub2. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Experts work hard to help!

Whenever you find a Useful or Helpful Post --

Click the Kudos Star on the Left to say "Thanks!"

Mark this Post “Accept as Solution” to accept a Fix or Workaround to an issue!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” boxes on Subjects started by you.

Remember:  The more information you provide, the better help you receive.

Always Include:  (Notebook) Product Number , Printers – Model Number ,

Operating System and an Error Description

Never give out your Serial Number

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Top Student
stokk
Message 14 of 19 (450 Views)

So I downgraded to grub and still had no luck with the grub commands you suggested...

I've written off recovering the c:\ so I would like to completely wipe the harddrive and put windows 7 on it, but I can't get the windows installer to recognize the hdd even if I load the drivers from a USB drive...
Top Student
stokk
Message 15 of 19 (449 Views)

I also forgot to mention that I partitioned the drive by shrinking the main partition by 150 GB and installed Ubuntu to that partition.
Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 16 of 19 (443 Views)

[ Edited ]

Stokk,

The trouble may have started when you shrunk the partition in Windows.  :smileysad:

Option 1:

Parted Magic - Use it to Partition that drive, fix the problems with it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parted_Magic

Parted Magic

Option 2

Any Linux Live CD probably has partitioning software on it.  If you can create a Live Linux CD, you can use the Partitioning tools on it to create a Partition on the disk.  I don't know about Mint or Ubuntu... Suse Live CD has partitioning tools.

• Once you have a partition, you can use your Windows CD to install Windows.
  • You just need one partition made with the Partition tool - let the Windows install make the rest of its partitions as it desires.  The point of the Partition tool is to heal the mess that is on the disk right now.
  • NOTE:  During the Windows Install ---  Do not allow Windows to "use all the remaining space".  Instead, tell it how much space it can use, for example, half the disk (or how ever much you want Windows to have).  The oppurtunity to decide about this happens early on in the installation -- watch for it.

Option 3:

You can also pop over to the nearest big box store and buy Partition Magic.  Costs money.  Stuff does.  Comes in a box.  Has a CD.  Has a help file. Nothing wrong with having a box with a CD, a help file.

Just in Case - Disk Format:

You did not say what brand of disk you have... Western Digital and Seagate disks come with some Installation Tools, that is, a tool set that you can use to format the disk.  Other brands may come with these tool sets as well. 

If you get to the point where the Partitioning tools do not work, that is, you cannot create a single partition with the Parted Magic so you can then use your Windows CD to reconfigure and further partition the disk, then you may have to format that disk - really start from scratch.

Look into how you will format that disk if you need to do it.

Install Windows - Then Linux:

After you have Windows installed, then you can install Linux - on that blank space on the disk that you left free.  That is where you put the Linux.

Good Luck!

I hope this helps!

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Always Include:  (Notebook) Product Number , Printers –Model Number,

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Top Student
stokk
Message 17 of 19 (431 Views)

I used Option 1 and created a boot USB drive with Parted Magic... I just wiped everything off and created an NTFS partition.  From there I loaded Winodws 7 and created the partitions I want for WIndows 7 and Linux.

Thanks for your help!

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 18 of 19 (425 Views)

Stokk,

Excellent news. 

Glad to help. 

Have fun with your dual boot system!

Keep that USB of Parted around.  Smiling.  Good to have a tool set ready.

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Dragon Tips: 

Keep printed copies of some of your favorite "how-to" files.  In the heat of the moment, when things have gone sideways, it's good to have a reference - a PRINTED reference that you can see, touch, write on, and hold.  I learned this as a young IT many years ago.  It's good advice and it has saved my backside more than one time.  On one page, keep your best "one line" solutions.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Student
jor_el
Message 19 of 19 (389 Views)

Hey,

I am also having the same problem with my system. where you able to fix the issues, can please tell me how you went about with it.

thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation