Question

Honor Student
flyfresno
Message 1 of 5 (2,257 Views)

Wipe and start over

So I want to completely wipe my Compaq notebook and then start over from the CDs I made when I first got the computer. Two questions:

1) If I wipe the system completely, will the cds let me reinstall the os from them.

2) Is there any way I can install JUST XP from the CDs and not any of the other software that comes with it. Basically, all I want is a web browser (probably with a few plug-ins) and DVD playing software.

Grad Student
Vaika
Message 2 of 5 (2,255 Views)

Re: Wipe and start over

In response to your first question, yes, if you run the CDs it will allow you to wipe AND reinstall the OS as shipped.

In response to your second question, no.  You have to uninstall the extra programs once you've finished the recovery process.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My posts are my opinions and experiences from working in the tech industry :smileyhappy:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Honor Student
flyfresno
Message 3 of 5 (2,205 Views)

I was thinking more in terms of using a third party cleaning untility to wipe it, and then use the CDs to reinstall. Can I do that?
Grad Student
Vaika
Message 4 of 5 (2,203 Views)

Yes, although there's no need-- the recovery disks do that themselves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My posts are my opinions and experiences from working in the tech industry :smileyhappy:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Teacher
bkasch
Message 5 of 5 (2,132 Views)

Actually on xp you can choose what programs to reinstall if your doign recovery from discs. You install the os then insert the disc and install drivers and programs from there and there is a list to choose from. Now the normal stuff installed with windows (components etc) you will need to uninstall.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation