Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I upgraded my laptop hp dv6-7014nr serial number {Private Information Removed} and product number B2P41UA from Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit to Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.  I pressed F-12 four days ago to turn my wireless off, however, I cannot turn it back on by pressing F12.  The light stays orange.  When I run any repair or Windows diagnose utility (from control panel or Device manager, etc. basically any other instruction or suggestion I have found on the internet), all it asks me to do is turn on my wi-fi, so it directs me to the problem that I had in the first place.  I don't know anywhere on my computer where to turn on the wifi button besides pressing F-12 (or Fn + F-12).  The HP Connection Manager dows not work.  I uninstalled and reinstalled and it still dows not work, so I don't think that is relevant.  Also, I uninstalled with Broadcom wireless adapter and reinstalled it and the button still won't work, so I am out of options.  I paid $15 for this software upgrade and it is a waste of time and money if not everything will work with the upgrade (ex:  F12 wifi key).  Attached is a picture of where it shows the wifi is off.sss.jpg

Thanks.

206 REPLIES 206
HP Recommended

Hi:

I have seen several posts from forum members with the Broadcom wireless adapters with the same issue as you are having.

I don't know if anyone was able to resolve the issue. I had suggested trying the Windows 7 broadcom driver and see if that works.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-107849-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...=

If you decide to take this suggestion for action, and the driver doesn't install automatically, try manually installing it by going to the device manager, under network adapters, click on the Broadcom wireless adapter. Click on the driver tab. Click on update driver. Select the Browse my computer for software method and browse to the installation folder that was created when you ran the file.

That file is located in C:\SWSetup\sp57965.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and hopefully the driver will install.

That is the only idea I can come up with.

I am very surprised by this as Broadcom usually has good drivers that work.

Paul

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

@Mumbodog wrote:

Try this Wireless button driver

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58720.exe

Thank you.  I was able to install the F12 button.  However, the F12 button only controls "Airplane Mode."  I could already control Airplane mode in my networks screen in the attached picture from the original post just by clicking on it.  The Wi-Fi is still turned off so the F12 button on Windows 8 doesn't turn Wi-Fi/Bluetooth On/Off, it only controls Airplane mode.  In Windows 7, this key actually turned Wifi/Bluetooth on/off.

HP Recommended

I did a system refresh and deleted all of my apps and kept my files so I hav ea fresh windows 8.  I didn't mean to do this as I had not set a restore point.  However, I am still having problems.  It is similar to http://www.forumswindows8.com/network-sharing/problem-running-wi-fi-connection-6507.htm but I do not want to reinstall Windows 7 because I have no way to back up my files.

HP Recommended

You must turn on your wireless adapter in PC Settings (modern UI). There is a section Wireless. You can turn on/off wireless adapters.

HP Recommended

Same problem of doofus228

I bought hp dv6 7090el one month ago, and upgraded to windows 8.

I' ve installed all the windows 8 drivers on hp product page.

The F12 button don't turn on the wireless card, only aero mode, and the light on the button stay orange.

The only solution i've found is to remove the battery and press for 15sec. the power button, then restart, but this must be done all the time.

Please find a solution early, this is a serious problem, we can't use wi fi!

HP Recommended

Check device manager. If you have unrecognized device there, install this driver (wireless button).

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58720.exe

Now this button controls "Airplane mode" in Windows 8. Wireless adapters can now be switched on/off in "PC Settings" under "Wireless" section in modern UI (metro). This is completely new setting in Windows 8. I don't understand, why it is so complicated...

HP Recommended

This is not the solution for me and many other people i think.

The drivers are all installed, all device are recognized, but wireless card can't be activated. In the new metro control panel bluetooth and wireless card are grey and i can't turn them on even if airplane mode is off.

I think we need an upgraded driver from broadcom or hp for windows 8

HP Recommended
I think the problem is with the wifi driver. I had the same issue too but found a workaround. Enter your BIOS settings by pressing F10 after switching the laptop on. Then press F9 to reset everything to default settings. Now save and exit. This worked for me. But the problem now is that it remains 'ON' permanently but it should help you go along until they fix this driver.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.