Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Yes, both BIOS and wireless card drivers are updated to the latest version. 

Any further suggestion?

HP Recommended

You've probably solved this by now but this was the only thread I found when Google searching for problems with Wi-Fi on an 8470p.

I could install the drivers for both the WWAN device and the WLAN device with still no wireless networks showing in Windows.
The physical button only worked (switching from orange to blue) with the WWAN drivers installed so I deactivated the device in the BIOS and now the button only stayed orange.

I thought the card was dead so I tried a new one I had spare but still had the same problem.

Turned out to be: LAN/WLAN Switching needed to be disabled in the BIOS.
That's what I get for testing while plugged in physically..

HP Recommended

Hi Provost, hope you see this. 

I have the same issue on Windows 10. But heres whats weird. The wifi card detects the networks, connects to them, but still does not connect to the internet.... 

I already updated to the latest driver but I can´t tell if it did it correctly, because I can´t see any WWAN devices on the Device Manager, only an ethernet card. 

Help please!

HP Recommended

In the world of diagnostics it is important to understand the relationship between symptoms and causes and resolutions.

When working with forums it is common to read questions/descriptions posted with words like "I have the same problem" (that then go on to describe something different than the problem being discussed)

This particular issue is that WIFI BECOMES DISABLED (after computer sleeps) AND CAN NOT BE REENABLED.

When that happens, there is no detected network.  The card is not functioning.  The operating system can not communicate with it and therefore will not detect any network.

So, from the perspective of you not being able to connect to something using wifi, you have a symptom in common. However, because you can see a list of access points (networks as you state), your card is functioning and there is some communication with the operating system.

Therefore, most forums that are monitored will ask you to find or create a different thread for your specific issue.

What you have done here is sometimes called attempting to hijack a thread.

My answer to this thread is that for my specific encounter with letting my laptop sleep and finding my WIRELESS CARD disabled I did try driver updates and BIOS update and everything else I could find about other people fixing the issue.

In my case the solution was to disable the modem in BIOS and suddenly the WIRELESS CARD came back to life .

Maybe it was a coincidence and it will happen again. Right now I am happy with this and just disabled sleep and hibernate and shut down my computer completely at the end of a session.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.