Question

Top Student
mystical_secret
Message 1 of 10 (846 Views)
Accepted Solution

backup, formatting drives, hidden files

[ Edited ]

i was backuping my system but then had to cancel since it wasn't accepting the empty cd which i had inserted when the computer asked for an external driver. but after canceling backup there are various folders in the c, d and f drives some of which are hidden, access denied and empty. the problem is my laptop is new and i havn't installed many apps yet and still only 12.8 gb out of 52.4 gb is left in the c drive which is unusual since i have not installed many apps. the list of the folders are :

$recycle.bin - its hidden and read only 

auth log 

boot-hidden

config.msi-hidden

documents and settings-cant access, hidden n read only 

hp-hidden

perflogs

program files

program files(x86)

program data - hidden

recovery - hidden

swsetup

system volume information-hidden

system.sav-hidden

users

winavr-this is an app i installed

windows

bootmgr-hidden

hiberfil.sys-hidden

pagefile.sys-hidden

these are thefiles. I can also see the hidden files and folders and when i tried to delete some of the above files a message come that deleting these files may corrupt smooth working of windows and that they were system files.

so please tell me what to do to clear unwanted files and to hide the hidden files and folders.

windows 7 home basic, hp 2000 notebook PC, intel core i3, 64 bit OS.

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 10 (833 Views)

Re: backup, formatting drives, hidden files

[ Edited ]

Press the fn + esc keys to open an HP System Information window to display both product name and product number.Please post these numbers-do not post serial number.

It is very unusual for a new HP laptop to have a hdd with 52.4gb C drive.Most laptops have at least a 320gb hdd, with most of that space allotted to C.

The files you list as hidden are system files and should not be deleted. to hide hidden files use Folder Options and set 'Hidden files' to not be shown. Read HERE

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
mystical_secret
Message 3 of 10 (806 Views)

b8m05pa#acj

what if i have deleted some of those files?

Tutor
apkplus
Message 4 of 10 (805 Views)

All your listed items are system files and folders. Some of them are hidden or not. Never delete them.

if you want do hide that hidden foders, Folder options ->view->Hide hidden files and folders and hide protected operation system files. Show more with screenshots : infolets.blogspot.com

Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 10 (797 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well, hopefully Windows did not allow you to delete any crtical files, or any that would not be recreated.

Your Specs page HERE states that you have a 500GB hdd. You probably have 1 partition as C which is the Windows partition and at least 440GB and a Recovery partition which is usually around 12-20GB. Some notebooks also have another partition for HP-Tools.

Before deleting anything else I would suggest burning your Recovery DVD set in case you have to reinstall your OS and other software. Document HERE

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
mystical_secret
Message 6 of 10 (787 Views)

whats windows partition? and where is this 440gb memory? also i didn't get a recovery dvd set...infact when i tried to backup my files with a CD as an external hard drive which the computer asked for, it still wasn't able to backup.

also i want to know that if i didn't install many apps why is the space in the c drive getting filled up so fast?

Provost
CherylG
Message 7 of 10 (779 Views)

your Windows partition is where Windows 7 is installed and running_on the C drive.

As for Recovery DVD set_did you read the document I posted a link to about burning a set?

Top Student
mystical_secret
Message 8 of 10 (766 Views)

yeah iam backuping in a pd but i guess the mystery of why the c drive is so full remains unsolved...

Student
jzader
Message 9 of 10 (657 Views)

Super easy, free and safe place to backup files:

http://goo.gl/MbZ2o

Grad Student
Gator6x4
Message 10 of 10 (645 Views)

Click on start then computer, right click on Drive -C, from the drop down menu select properties, insure General is highlighted. The information about your drive will be delivered, size, amount of drive used and available. A graphic pie will also be displayed providing a visual of the information how disk space used and available. If it shows the disk is full or near full you may have been repeatedly creating recovery discs on the hard drive instead of exporting to a cd/dvd via a cd/dvd drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation