Question

Top Student
DataKnight
Message 1 of 13 (1,908 Views)

bios upgrade F34 for HP Pavilion dv6525em fails

Hi

I've tried to update this laptop's BIOS from the HP website Using the auto-detect facility but when I run it it says "Not for this Laptop" !

Why is it doing this if the HP website says the F34 BIOS is for this laptop?

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

DK.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 13 (1,891 Views)

Re: bios upgrade F34 for HP Pavilion dv6525em fails

If the software says "Not for this Laptop" then do not attempt to install it, unless you don't mind bricking your notebook. Brickig a laptop means turning it into an expensive non computing  paperweight.

Do not update the BIOS on a whim. Only update BIOS if HPSA or HP states that the update is critical.

Best regards,

erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
DataKnight
Message 3 of 13 (1,890 Views)

This laptop is on Bios version F04 (probably what it shipped with). 

There is a problem with the battery  (probably needs new one) But I noticed that F09 fixed an issue with batteries. However even thsi one wouldnt load.

Yes I understand that I shouldn't update BIOS unless advised to but  it wouldnt even install that old one.......

And I cant see how you could force an update anyway...

And why provide BIOS updates if they wont load on your laptop anyway?

(I never had this issue with Toshiba laptop BIOS or even my HP business laptops)

How do I find out why it wont apply the update?

Thanks

DK

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 13 (1,887 Views)

[ Edited ]

Generally that happens if the processor and system board don't match the BIOS requirements. (which CPU is in yours?)
Sometimes it happens if a manufacturer posts a BIOS that has issues. (That has happened)

Have you ever done a battery calibration for your notebook battery?

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Top Student
DataKnight
Message 5 of 13 (1,884 Views)

[ Edited ]

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53, 1700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

The HP Battery check says it has detected a failure and shows "Replace" against Health. It suggests replacing under warranty but the warranty ran out 3 years ago !

This is why I was wondering whether upgrading the BIOS (even to F09) would  change anything about this reporting.

I've not done calibration as such. The laptop is 4 years old.

Thanks

DK

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 13 (1,881 Views)

[ Edited ]

DataKnight wrote:

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53, 1700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

The HP Battery check says it has detected a failure and shows "Replace" against Health. It suggests replacing under warranty but the warranty ran out 3 years ago !

This is why I was wondering whether upgrading the BIOS (even to F09) would  change anything about this reporting.

I've not done calibration as such. The laptop is 4 years old.

Thanks

DK

BIOS update F.09 is for the battery failure issue. That is the one I would update to. Be sure and do this while the power adapter is connected.

It would help if you clue me in on which OS is installed.

A calibration would be a good idea. Fours years of battery service is an indication that you have taken good care of your notebook. :smileyhappy:

How to calibrate the notebook battery 

The calibration might not help given the number of charging cycles that have occurred over the four years of use. I would replace the battery with a new one. They are not terribly expensive. There is no requirement to use an OEM HP battery. 

Best regards,

erico

Top Student
DataKnight
Message 7 of 13 (1,878 Views)

[ Edited ]

erico wrote:

BIOS update F.09 is for the battery failure issue. That is the one I would update to. Be sure and do this while the power adapter is connected.

But when I try and update the BIOS it says "not for this laptop" - that's what I'm frustrated about :smileysad:

My OS is Win Vista Home SP2.

I've got to the point where I think it's worth replacing the battery for definite.

Provost
erico
Message 8 of 13 (1,874 Views)

DataKnight wrote:

erico wrote:

But when I try and update the BIOS it says "not for this laptop" - that's what I'm frustrated about :smileysad:

My OS is Win Vista Home SP2.

I've got to the point where I think it's worth replacing the battery for definite. Good plan

Are you downloading the BIOS updates from here?

Which browser are you using? If Internet Explorer then switch to either Firefox, Google Chrome or Opera.

Best regards,

erico

Top Student
DataKnight
Message 9 of 13 (1,871 Views)

Hi Erico

Yes I downloaded 'from here' and have tried both Google Chrome and IE - no  luck - same answer "Not for this Notebook PC".

There's something very odd about this laptop/BIOS combination.

Unless you can up with some answers (maybe) from HP directly (I cant afford to spend £15 ringing the UK help desk) then I think I'll give up on this one. It's just not worth the aggro.

Thanks

DK.

PS Off out now so you wont get a reply until later.......

Provost
erico
Message 10 of 13 (1,867 Views)

There is a utility called CPU-z. It is a free and safe utility. Download and run it. Select the mainboard tab in CPU-z and it will give information about the BIOS and motherboard info. Post all of  the information it gives about both here in your thread. The following is what the mainboard tab shows about the system I am using at this moment.

mainboard.JPG

Once I have that info I will be able to ask an HP laptop expert about the issue and pass on his recommendations to you.

Best regards,

erico 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation