blue screen error while installing XP error :0x0000007B
Replies (43)

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 11 of 44 (12,493 Views)

Re: blue screen error while installing XP error :0x0000007B

[ Edited ]

Hi:

As long as you know what SATA ACHI controller you have (and you can check that from your current OS before wiping it out), to me it is so much easier to just have a USB floppy drive in your toolkit, have it plugged in when you boot from the XP installation disk, and at the XP installation F6 prompt, you hit the F6 key.

Then XP continues loading files, stops, and prompts you to hit the S key to load your drivers. You will see your FDD and you use your Up/Down arrow keys to scroll to the driver you need. You select it, and follow the rest of the prompts.

XP should load without any issues.

Below is the link to the Intel SATA ACHI drivers. Select the first file on the list (XP 32 bit).

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18668&keyword=F6&lang=eng

Extract the drivers onto a floppy disk.

When the XP install routine brings you to the S prompt, I believe the driver you need to select for the HP 630 is the Intel (R) 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller.

I never do it any other way for desktops or notebooks, and have yet to be confounded by the XP stop error.

Paul

Top Student
lorenzozanetti
Message 12 of 44 (12,461 Views)

Your problem does not seem to be about SATA drivers.

It is likely that the CD you made is for some reason not completely readable to the target machine. Double check your nlite settings. Try burning it again at a lower speed (the text mode part of setup seems to be someway fastidious about the CD quality). If you do not want to throw away too many coasters, try burning it again onto a good quality CDRW at the slowest speed possible.

Let us know any further development.

Honor Student
mayorwest
Message 13 of 44 (12,161 Views)

lorenzozanetti,

you have just saved my job. I've been attempting this fix for 4 hours now and after slipstreaming the driver you found, I am successfully installing XP.

Thank you sooooo much!!!!

[mayorwest}

Honor Student
TehOh
Message 14 of 44 (11,798 Views)

@Paul_Tikkanen: This solution won't work with this HP 630 Laptop and Windows XP Home SP2.

@lorenzozanett: Which dirver (from the HM65 driver you've linked) I have to select out of the iaAHCI.inf while including it into the slipstream install CD? Tried the Intel Mobile Express but the installation still stops with the same bluescreen.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 15 of 44 (11,792 Views)

[ Edited ]

@TehOh:

I edited the inaccurate info from this post, and you need to select the Intel (R) 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller.

I recommend you slipstream all of the drivers from Intel into the copy of the XP install disk, and then you don't have to be concerned with which one you actually need.

Honor Student
TehOh
Message 16 of 44 (11,771 Views)

@Paul_Tikkanen: 

Forget what I said. I take it all back.

The  Intel (R) 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller is the right choice for the HP 630 and so it works also with the USB-Floppy.  I already tried "all 3 options" who are visible on selection screen, but there are much more options available, by scrolling up to the top of the list with up arrow key. (omg ^^) - Thanks for the quick reply. 

And now I have to complete the Win XP installation :smileywink: 

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 17 of 44 (11,764 Views)

Hi:

Glad you got it to to work.

Yes, you need to use the up/dn arrow keys to see all of the driver options when using a USB FDD to load them at the F6 prompt.

However, I didn't mention that in my post, since you posted that you were slipstreaming the drivers.

Best Regards,

Paul

Honor Student
TehOh
Message 18 of 44 (11,695 Views)

[b]UPDATE:[/b] Today I get another HP 630 for the same customer. To save time I restored my True Image backup from the 1st machine, but while booting the bluescreen appeared again. So I had to reinstall Windows XP with the REPAIR option and another SATA driver. In this case I had to use the [b]Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller[/b] to work with Win XP. After the Welcome screen Windows showed me the activation requester, because to many hardware changes was made. It seems, that HP delivers this type of notebook with different hardware setups, but I can't compare it with the other machine so far.
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 19 of 44 (11,691 Views)

Wow!

Who would have thought there would be different chipsets in that model?

The ACHI driver you installed is normally for the Mobile Intel 6 series chipsets.

I guess if you are downgrading each machine to XP, you should first go to the device manager in Windows 7, and see what SATA ACHI controller is installed, so you can select what image to install on that particular notebook-- the Intel (R) 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller, or the  Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller

Paul

Honor Student
joebarglazie
Message 20 of 44 (10,418 Views)

Very big thanks for your help

In my case it only works slipstreaming all the drivers into XP.

When i used a USB floppy F6 works fine but i was asked again for the intel rapid storage technology drivers on disk A before the installation starts to copie the files and there he couldn't find them.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation