Question

Honor Student
Xtrstang
Message 1 of 13 (2,657 Views)

blue screen of death when trying to install XP Pro as dual boot with Vista 64 on a HDX X18-1020US

I am hopping someone can help me here. I have just gotten a HDX X18-1020US laptop and would like to create a dual boot system with Vista 64 and XP Pro. I have research on how to do this and have downloaded all of the programs needed to do this. But when I start installing XP Pro it will go through installing drivers but just as it says windows now installing (or starting) it gives me the blue screen of death.

On more research I found that I needed the SATA drivers to install (f6) when XP install just starts to load. I have done this and still get the same error. I also have been told that the BIOS settings need to be changed for the SATA drives but I can not find any settings for them in the BIOS.

Could someone please help me with this issue. I would like to me able to use some of my old programs on XP while still using Vista

Thanks

Teacher
Jim_Mohr
Message 2 of 13 (2,655 Views)

Re: blue screen ...

[ Edited ]

search the forums/google for slipstreaming the SATA driver with your copy of XP ... 'nlite' is the program you use to do it.

=====

these guides are old (for your specific situation), BUT it is all still relevant:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/install-windows-xp-on-your-pre-installed-windows-vista-...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=140131&page=5

Message Edited by Jim_Mohr on 12-07-2008 06:21 PM
Honor Student
Xtrstang
Message 3 of 13 (2,644 Views)

Jim,

Thanks for the quick reply, I have already used nlite and created a install disc same thing happens. I talked with HP tech support and they said that the BIOS will not allow any other OS then Vista, I don't know if this true or not but I still can not get XP to install.

Teacher
Jim_Mohr
Message 4 of 13 (2,650 Views)

I "guess" that "could" be true, but ... ?!?

Report back on your progress

Luck

j

Honor Student
Xtrstang
Message 5 of 13 (2,615 Views)

Jim, I have tried a few other things and still no luck. I have updated the BIOS and even created three different XP Install discs using nlite, but still get the same blue screen. I have asked a few of my friends that have set up a dual boot system and they are even stumped. Each of them said they were able to get their systems to work just by using nlite and creating a new install disc.

Hopefuly someone might have other ideas to get this to work.
Master's Graduate
CorMit
Message 6 of 13 (2,608 Views)

blue screen of death when trying to install XP Pro as dual boot with Vista 64 on a HDX X18-1020US

xp cannot be installed with vista on the computer, you need to format then install XP then install VISTA as the duel boot
--------------------------------
Pavilion DV2714CA, Vista Home Premium 32bit(Successfully running Windows XP Pro SP2), Intel T2330 1.60 GHz, Intel Graphics Accelerator X3100, 4GB RAM, 160 GB HDD --Do everyone a favor Post back your results, Resolved or Not - LEAVE KUDOS !
Teacher
Jim_Mohr
Message 7 of 13 (2,599 Views)

I certainly am not disputing your statement, especially since he hasn't any luck so far, but would you care to explain WHAT could be stopping him.  Logically, I just don't understand.
Jim
Honor Student
Xtrstang
Message 8 of 13 (2,597 Views)

CorMit,

I have found many websites that show how to install XP on a system with Vista pre-installed. Here is the one I am using as a guide:

A few of my friends have also been able to do this with no problem. So I am not sure why I cannot.

Thanks for the advice though. I would do what you say but I do not have the Vista DVD to install Vista, I only have XP Pro and the restore discs from HP.

Master's Graduate
CorMit
Message 9 of 13 (2,592 Views)

I personally know it can be done, but Microsoft says it cannot be done ..

whats the BOSD you get ... the more info the better

also try, before shrinking the volume and reformating the partition is to SET THE CURRENT DRIVE TO 'ACTIVE PARTITION' then see if you can install BSOD free ...

--------------------------------
Pavilion DV2714CA, Vista Home Premium 32bit(Successfully running Windows XP Pro SP2), Intel T2330 1.60 GHz, Intel Graphics Accelerator X3100, 4GB RAM, 160 GB HDD --Do everyone a favor Post back your results, Resolved or Not - LEAVE KUDOS !
Teacher
Jim_Mohr
Message 10 of 13 (2,591 Views)

[ Edited ]
without doing any research, MY FIRST GUESS would be that you aren't using the right SATA driver ... Is that possible anyway? 
=======
when you boot Vista and bring up the device manager, what does it say under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers?
I am looking for something "like" Intel(R) 82801 ... something 
Message Edited by Jim_Mohr on 12-08-2008 03:06 PM
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation