Question

Honor Student
darconi77
Message 1 of 7 (2,317 Views)
Accepted Solution

bluetooth disabled on hp 8640w

Hi,

I had bluetooth module working properly and suddenly my laptop reports it's disabled and i should enable it from computer setup utility. I am not sure how I got into this situation as I din't use bluetooth for couple of weeks and lot of updates came from both window update and hp support assistent. I've tried everything, went into bios setup, tried reinstalling drivers, but neither setup, neither device manager report bluetooth module anymore. This is brand new laptop (about 1 month old), so i don't expect that ti's hardware failure, as everything else is working fine. I found at one forum, that it might be some virus.

Can someone please help with this?

Best Regards

Darko

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 7 (2,298 Views)

Re: bluetooth disabled on hp 8640w

Go to the control panel and make sure it's turned on in the HP Wireless Assistant. If that's not it then reinstalling the HP Wireless Assistant and/or the "HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth wireless technology"

Go to the recovery manager and install both of these things from there The Wireless Assistant is under software and the HP Integrated Module is under drivers.

These ones should be the ones that came with your laptop, unless the HP Support Assistant changed them. In that case go to your support page for your model and update them from there. ( you didn't provide your complete model number so I can't give you the links)

As for the HP Support Assistant. With much experience with it and reading numerous problems here on the forum, it is one of the worst pieces of software that I have ever come across. Unsuspecting people allow it to update things and very often the software or drivers are the wrong ones. There are a number of people that have allowed it to update their BIOS and now the laptops are corrupted, there is a way to fix it, but it's difficult.

Uninstall the HP Support Assistant !  If the laptop is working then don't update anything especially if the Support Assistant tells you to.

It may be a virus, but I don't think so.

The other thing that may fix this is to go back to a restore point when your Bluetooth was working. The Microsoft updates may come in again, and that's fine, but turn off the HP Support Assistant or uninstall it.

Honor Student
darconi77
Message 3 of 7 (2,283 Views)

Dear HaggisCut,

thank you very much. You gave me idea how to solve this problem. I know i saw that updated BIOS reported that bluetooth device is not present when i tried many of the different options day ago. I downgraded BIOS to previos version, downloaded it from HP support web site and now everything is back to normal :smileyhappy:

Here is the link for previous BIOS:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

And you are right, HP Support Assisten is responsible for this update, so i uninstalled it.

Many Thanks

Darko

HaggisCa

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 7 (2,277 Views)

Darko

You are really lucky. That was the very BIOS update that was coming in from the HP Support Assistant that was corrupting peoples computers. That's great that you were able to roll back the BIOS.   :smileyvery-happy:

You will never miss the HP SA.

Honor Student
darconi77
Message 5 of 7 (2,273 Views)

Thank you very much once more :smileyvery-happy: I hope our discussion will help other people who are stucked in the similar situation :smileyhappy:

Greetings from Belgrade :smileyhappy:

Darko

Student
stucasabl
Message 6 of 7 (487 Views)

I do experience the same problem for long time. I tried to uninstal and reinstall HP connection manager and bluetooth broadcom 2070 drivers and does not work at all. I have managed for last three weeks to communicate with my bluetooth maouse device but today lost communication while I was working. Tried to turn off laptop bluetooth via communication manager but always comes back with message device disable by device manager.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 7 of 7 (459 Views)

Hello stucasabl,

Your Bluetooth is not working.

Go to device manager and right click on the Bluetooth adapter and click enable.

Here is a link on how to get to your device manager

Let me know how everything goes.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation