Question

Honor Student
stgeorgewes
Message 1 of 10 (14,828 Views)

boot device not found please install an operating system on your hard disk hard disk (3FO).....help!

I am getting the above message when i try to boot my Presario CQ62. what can I do?

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 2 of 10 (14,810 Views)

Re: boot device not found please install an operating system on your hard disk hard disk (3FO).....h

Your hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced immediately for the notebook to function. In order to check if hard drive is functioning or not, you can run a test to confirm it.

Turn OFF the Notebook and once its powered ON, keep Pressing F10 to load BIOS screen of the Notebook. In this screen under Diagnostics, run the test on hard drive and memory. Post back the results here.

Also in startup menu there is an alternate way where you can run F2 (System Diagnostics). The instructions can be found at below link
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01443317

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Honor Student
stgeorgewes
Message 3 of 10 (14,806 Views)

Re: boot device not found please install an operating system on your hard disk hard disk (3FO).....h

Memory test passes but Primary Hard Drive Selt Test says "hard drive does not exist"

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 4 of 10 (14,791 Views)

Try reseating (remove and reinsert) the hard drive and see if that helps. In case it doesnt you need to replace it with a new one as its not getting detected because of a mechanical failure.

Refer service manual to know procedure of removing hard drive for your Notebook

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02542455.pdf

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Honor Student
stgeorgewes
Message 5 of 10 (14,762 Views)

Thanks for your help. I removed and reinstalled the gard drive and it stil doesnt recognize. It appears the hard drive is toast. this is very  disconcerting because I'll bet we havent logged even a hundred hours since we purchased it. About how much is a new HD and then dont I need to buy windows again too?

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 6 of 10 (14,746 Views)

The cost of a new hard drive would depend on what size of drive you are installing it on the Notebook. Also you can order recovery disks(OS + drivers) for your Notebook from below link

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00810334

I am an HP employee!!
Tutor
Tyhoic
Message 7 of 10 (13,465 Views)

Hi there, 

Been having the same problem myself, it self fixes after a Factory Restore (sometimes it won't let me load that, but occasionally it does). I Installed a new copy of Windows 7 and it has fixed again but not sure if this is temporary or not. 

Did you ever fix this? If so how, please give suggestions so I can try to fix mine. 

Thanks!

Student
houssem79
Message 8 of 10 (12,512 Views)

Boot device not found. Please install an operating system on your hard disk. Hard disk (3fo) F2 system diagnostics for more information please visit
Student
rugamarteaga
Message 9 of 10 (12,260 Views)

Hice lo q  decia y esto fue lo q resulto

:

run in test
100% of the system memory tested ok
1.023.217.664 bytes of system memory tested ok
memory test pass
primary hard disk self test
quick test
0% complete
hard disk 1 fault
smart check
hard disk smart passed

Tutor
NCcomputerguy09
Message 10 of 10 (12,256 Views)

To the latest poster:

The error reported is saying your hard drive has a problem.  Even though the last message says the "smart check passed", the hard drive has still failed.

Try reseating the hard drive (take it out and put it right back).

If you still get this and the notebook will not boot, you will most likely need to replace the hard drive.

Mark

Mark

Messing with computers since 19...
20+ year veteran of HP, Compaq, and DEC...took EER in '07
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation