Question

Master's Graduate
edbergjun
Message 1 of 10 (4,919 Views)
Accepted Solution

boot manager is missing (cause and solution)

[ Edited ]

this is based on my experience :smileyhappy:

cause: deleting the system partition (usually c) and repartioning it. example you have 200gb in drive c and deleting its partition to make a new 2 partiton 100gb and 100gb and or shrinking its volume to have a new unallocated drive.

real scenario: i was downgrading a presario a945ee from vista to xp, i divided the 1st partition (where the original os was installed) into two by deleting it and making 2 new partitions. i didnt touch the recovery partition so that i can recover the original system. for some reasons i decided to recover the laptop to itsfactory image and when i hit F11 i get the BOOT MANAGER IS MISSING error, no recovery discs were created so im stuck.

solution: use your recovery discs if you have or order a set if you have no recovery discs :smileyhappy:

lesson learned: always create recovery discs before doing something on your computer, never destroy partitions.   :smileyvery-happy:

click the star to say thanks

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 10 (4,906 Views)

Re: boot manager is missing (cause and solution)

Yes, as you have seen_F11 will no longer boot into Recovery partition after changing  original hdd partitions.:smileywink:

Sometimes you can mark the Recovery partition as Active & on reboot it will boot into recovery partition.>>

1.Right-click on "Computer" icon and select manage.
2.This will launch the Microsoft Management Console.
3.On the left side of the MMC, click on "Disk Management" and it will show you all of the partitions.
4.Right-click on the "HP Recovery" partition and select "Mark as Active Partition."
5.When the warning prompt appears, select "Yes" - Reboot and it will automatically boot into the Recovery Manager (without pressing F11).

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Master's Graduate
edbergjun
Message 3 of 10 (4,901 Views)

thanks ma'am cherryl, i didnt know that  :smileyhappy:

if i activate the recovery partition on disk mannagement then there is a chance for viruses to destroy the files inside the recovery partition right? can i deactivate the rp after i have succesfuly recovered my system?

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 10 (4,895 Views)

You're welcome.:smileyhappy:

No need to reset it.Once it boots into recovery it creates new  C: partition and installs Windows, then it automatically sets C: as active.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Master's Graduate
edbergjun
Message 5 of 10 (4,892 Views)

thank you again.

:smileyhappy:

does that always work? cause youve said sometimes  :smileyhappy:

Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 10 (4,890 Views)

[ Edited ]

Most of the times I have suggested it over the past couple of years, it has worked. Only a couple of cases where it won't allow to set Recovery as Active.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 7 of 10 (4,888 Views)

[ Edited ]

Cheryl has gone to bed_it's 3:00 A.M. where she is. She is a bit of a night owl.

To answer your question, no it doesn't always work, but works more often then not.

I am off too, it's just after 12:00 here.  :smileyhappy:

Master's Graduate
edbergjun
Message 8 of 10 (4,882 Views)

goodnight everyone :smileyhappy:

its 3:15 pm now here in phillipines

Provost
CherylG
Message 9 of 10 (4,815 Views)

Check out the 'happy camper'  HERE :smileyhappy:

Master's Graduate
edbergjun
Message 10 of 10 (4,813 Views)

a strong proof that making the rp active works :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation