Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

HP support Assistant is telling me to download the latest version but the the update fails to run, I tried to unistall the program so I could due a fresh download/install but when i use windows "uninstall program" , I get the following message: "Error 1316. A network error occured while attempting to read from the file C:\Windows|Installer|HP Support Assistant.msi"

I just want to install the program and due a fresh download from the HP site. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

HP Pavillion dv7-4263cl Notebook

Windows 7 64-bit  Home Premium

Just installed printer drivers for an HP All-In-One printer today and installed Logitech Gaming software yesterday but I can't say if the error occured before or after these installs. I have tried three different uninstallers Iobit, pc-decrapifier, etc. none of those worked either.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is probably an MSI corruption.   Try the following tool from Microsoft to see if it uninstalls HPSA.  

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

You can download and install the latest version of HPSA from:

www.hp.com/go/hpsupportassistant

I work on behalf of HP.

Click on Kudos if you like the response.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and/HP-Support-Assistant-Win-7-x64-Error-131...

Several things can cause this, first thing to try is to just install the new HPSA, It will remove the old one during install, if you get the same error when installing have a look at the link I posted.

Another reason could be a Security Software you have installed is interfering with the uninstallation or installation.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for your reply and spending some of your time with me! As suggested, I did try installing the updated program over the old. A window came up asking if it installed correctly or try installing with some configuration. Trying both ways, I still got the same message.  I do run Norton Internet 2011 and have not had any previous install issues. I will try turning it off and give this another shot. After checking the internet, there are many complaints regarding this issue. I've tried HP's restoration tool, rolling back to a restore point etc. and nothing has worked so far.

I will also try the methods discussed in the thread. Any other ideas would be most appreciated! I happen to like this program and want to keep it running.

Barry

HP Recommended

Some report that simply disabling the security software will not help, it has to be uninstalled, I only saw this issue reported with ZoneAlarm security software.

Another thing to try is to perform a clean boot, then try to uninstall HPSA while clean booted

To Boot Clean in Windows 7 and Vista

Accessing the System Configuration Utility

A. Click Start Start Orb.PNG, type msconfig in the search box and press Enter

Configure Selective Startup options:

1. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
2. Uncheck Load Startup Items
3. Select the Services tab
4. Check Hide all Microsoft services (very Important you do this)
5. Click Disable all
6. Click on OK
7. Click Restart.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system to normal boot by doing the following:

1. Click Start type msconfig in the search box and press Enter
2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
3. Click Ok
4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

HP Recommended

Hello again!

I'm at work until 11pm EST but I will definitely try that in the am. Once solved, I'll run the system maintenance tools a bunch of times to try and clean up the registiry, etc.. My Laptop is one of the entertainment models so it is used for gaming but I've only installed the games plus drivers for the peripherals. No sweeping changes, mods, or tweaks.

I'll get back to you but let me say again how much I appreciate your time in helping me solve this issue!

Barry

HP Recommended

If clean boot doesn't help, try using Recovery Manager to reinstall HP SA.Then try to update or uninstall it.See 'Reinstall specific drivers or applications' here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01895783

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Hello!

Thank you for your reply as well. Unfortunately, neither procedure worked. I find this to be a most odd issue. Can't say I have ever had an issue uninstalling a program before. I have a couple of other ideas that I will try and will post which, if any, are successful.

As always, any ideas are most welcome and I really appreciate your time in this matter!

Barry

HP Recommended

There is probably an MSI corruption.   Try the following tool from Microsoft to see if it uninstalls HPSA.  

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

You can download and install the latest version of HPSA from:

www.hp.com/go/hpsupportassistant

I work on behalf of HP.

Click on Kudos if you like the response.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply as well!

I broke down and called HP Tech support and after trying numerous methods to get this resolved, we basically could not resolve the issue. We did try everything suggested here as well as some other suggestions. It did come down to a corrupted file but even aftermarket uninstallers could not resolve the issue. Fortunately, I back up everything regularly so we just restored to out-of-the box condition.

I'm not too upset as I learned some things about setting up Windows 7 and can do a better job this time around. I have, however, created a document with all of these suggestions and links just in case.

Again, thank you everyone for spending some of your valuable time with me in this matter!

Barry

HP Recommended

No Need to roll back no need to restart no need to waste hrs fixing this. if you want the real fast fix email me [Personal Information Removed]

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.