Question
cannot find USB 3.0 controller driver
Replies (16)

Honor Student
ihatethispc
Message 11 of 17 (476 Views)

Re: cannot find USB 3.0 controller driver

[ Edited ]

none of these links have worked on my DV7-7115NR.  I'm about to manually remove all the drivers an everything ive been adding over the last week and start again from the stock install.  This means that I have half my ports non functioning.  What a worthwhile laptop!

I had a hard drive die.   Out of warranty.  Bought a new one, and now I'm reinstalling the OS.  I finally tracked down all of the drivers other than the USB 3 controllers (even the chipset).  Nothing I can install, unpack and search, or try is working with this.

Secure boot makes it IMPOSSIBLE to upgrade the firmware on my SSD...I had to do it from a home computer.  I built that myself, so I know it works.

This computer is like a bad girlfriend.  As good as it looks, it's just flaky and unreliable and impossible to please; it's not the first hp I've been suckered into buying, but it's the last.  I'm never buying another HP laptop.  I usually give my current machine to my family, but I will sell this for parts on ebay.  I'm not getting roped into support on this waste of silicon.

Tutor
Billyoldster
Message 12 of 17 (469 Views)

Did you downgrade from Win8 to Win7? You said, reinstall your OS, but which one? If you are reinstalling Win8, you have a different problem than the one I was dealing with, which was downgrading from Win8 to Win7.

If you are unable to find drivers for the same OS that you had previously, then I'm confused about what your problem is.

Are you saying that the OS reinstalled ok, and that you can boot up into Windows now? And the problem is that you are looking for drivers?

Or, are you not able to complete or start the install of your OS at all? Give more details on your problem, and I may be able to help. I'll let you know right away if I can't. I have years of experience wrangling with Windows, but I don't have all the answers.

Honor Student
ihatethispc
Message 13 of 17 (461 Views)

Reinstalling win7.

I just wiped it again.  I am installing things one by one to try to isolate A) any kind of driver change for the better and B) trying to disable services one by one until it can boot up and shut down in less than 2 minutes, and things stop turning themselves off and on.

Works like a POS with a bare windows install.

Works like a POS with HP crap installed.

Works like a POS with every hdd except the one that came in it with the image that came on it in every configuration in which it's been tested.

Conclusion:

POS.

Tutor
Billyoldster
Message 14 of 17 (456 Views)

Well, if you're not replacing Win8 with Win7, then you have a different problem than the one I described.

But here is something to consider:

1) You are trying to reinstall Windows in a HP computer with the same Windows software that came with the computer, then this is probably the source of the problem, because the HP Windows software was custom made for your machine with the drivers tailored to everything in that machine: including the hard drive.

Ergo, your windows installation won't work, because the hard drive drivers included with the HP WIndows are the wrong ones.

If this describes your situation, you will have to do what I did, because I had a similar problem when I replaced the original hard drive with an SSD. You will have to go buy a new copy of WIndows 7, that is called "SYSTEM BUILDER". This kind of Windows is perfect for what you are trying to do, because it comes with a wide array of drivers that will work with most situations: the kind where someone is trying to custom-build their own PC/laptop.

I advise you to go to Walmart.com or another that you are comfortable with, and order it. You won't be able to get it in any stores, I'm pretty sure, because MS has an arrangement with all the stores to only sell Win8. You can order Win7 from them, but it is easier on the web.

I bought my copy from Walmart.com and it works great. I think this will solve your problem, but you will have to order it fast to get it tomorrow. God bless.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_query=Windows+7&Find=Find&search...

Tutor
Billyoldster
Message 15 of 17 (455 Views)

I just checked Walmart.com and you can't get it before 12/30. Sorry about that. Maybe you can tell her that it will be ready to use in a few days, and she will be happy with that.

Honor Student
ihatethispc
Message 16 of 17 (450 Views)

I appreciate you trying to help, but I've tried that.

I also pulled the .wim from win7 home and applied it to a bare disk with DISM.  I even applied a wim I made on a virtual machine so it had basically nothing in the way of drivers.  I've reimaged 3 different hdds with 4 different images, at least three times per hdd.  The one that's in is on the 4th image.  The only one that has worked properly is the factory image on the factory drive.  I pulled that wim immediately so I could re-apply it.

So I now have this problem solved, because I used the files from lenovo.  It is the first time I have seen anything but the standard def image have the chipset and USB3 drivers.

Tutor
Billyoldster
Message 17 of 17 (447 Views)

[ Edited ]

Good work! I know what a pain in the backside working with computers can be. It takes a lot of trials and tribulations working with problems like this to learn how to get through the maze. Take care.

[Content Removed]

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation