cd/dvd driver missing on my hp dv2845se laptop (8326 Views)
Student
sugarmag420
Message 1 of 11 (8,326 Views)

cd/dvd driver missing on my hp dv2845se laptop

For some reason my cd dvd driver is missing on my laptop.  It's not listed in Computer and is not listed in device manager either.  I have no idea how to get the driver back cause now I can't play or burn cd's and was able to last week.  Laptop is less than 2 years old and i hardly ever use it to burn or play cd/dvd's any help would be appreciated.
Student
agenturx
Message 2 of 11 (8,348 Views)

Re: cd/dvd driver missing on my hp dv2845se laptop

[ Edited ]

First thing, try to install Chipset driver fro here : Chipset driver restart You system and check in Device Manager if not working, try doing that:

• Disconect power supply from You laptop,
  • Take off you battery,
  • Unscrew one screw on back side of You laptop (that sign some like circle with dot inside and cut like cake in 10% :smileyhappy: or if You know PacMan its little similar)
  • Slide carefully You CD/DVD Drive out from laptop case ( You can us You nail :smileyhappy: ),
  • Put back CD/DVD Drive,
  • Screw on, put battery back, put power supply and start system.

Message Edited by agenturx on 05-21-2009 05:32 PM
Master's Graduate
melanchete
Message 3 of 11 (8,367 Views)

This really sounds like the long way around the tree...  Go to BIOS check to see if the DVD/CD-RW is listed there.  If so, then the drive is fine.  A couple things to check: Virus, malware.
Then read the following:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

agenturx wrote:

First thing, try to install Chipset driver fro here : Chipset driver restart You system and check in Device Manager if not working, try doing that:

• Disconect power supply from You laptop,
  • Take off you battery,
  • Unscrew one screw on back side of You laptop (that sign some like circle with dot inside and cut like cake in 10% :smileyhappy: or if You know PacMan its little similar)
  • Slide carefully You CD/DVD Drive out from laptop case ( You can us You nail :smileyhappy: ),
  • Put back CD/DVD Drive,
  • Screw on, put battery back, put power supply and start system.

Message Edited by agenturx on 05-21-2009 05:32 PM

Pavilion DV7-1285dx Notebook, Windows 7 64bit, Intel X2 P8600 2.40GHz, Nvidia GeForce 9600M, 6GB RAM, 2x 500GB HD(s)
Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 11 (8,331 Views)

Try this>>download,double click to extract it, then  run the exe file,(written originally for XP but works in Vista,too):

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip

After running it, reboot your laptop.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Student
pupo
Message 5 of 11 (8,117 Views)

I have the same problem, the dvd drive is not detected by vista and it isn't detected by the BIOS either. I was using it yesterday and today, nothing. What can it be and how can I fix it ?
Honor Student
sushi829
Message 6 of 11 (7,897 Views)

i have the dv2845se as well and i just noticed my dvd not showing up on my computer?!?!? has anybody figured out how to fix this problem? the dvd opens up just fine and it sounds like it works but windows does not detect it at all... any help would be great!
Student
rishadh
Message 7 of 11 (6,556 Views)

I'm bumping this because I have this problem too. My DVD drive is not being found in My Computer. dv2845se is my laptop's model. It doesn't boot DVD's or CD's either anymore. Windows 7, all drivers all up to date. The DVD drive doesn't show up in device manager either. I've tried all Upperfilters registry bull**bleep**, Windows support fix it's and all the usual. I'd love to have some support from the company that actually make the product I'm having troubles with.

Provost
CherylG
Message 8 of 11 (6,535 Views)

@rishadh

This is a peer to peer forum only. If you wish to get help from the company >>Contact HP

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
wmasoud
Message 9 of 11 (6,395 Views)

Not the most helpful comment, cheryl.

I'm having this exact same problem. The chipset download is not for Windows 7 64bit, so that's not going to work. I'm getting a screwdriver right now to see if disconnecting the drive and physically re-installing it will make a difference.

Could someone also tell me how to check the BIOS to see if the DVD is detected there?

Thanks peers; you're better than the company :smileyvery-happy:

Honor Student
wmasoud
Message 10 of 11 (6,376 Views)

ok, that didn't work. Windows 7 didn't even bat an eye. I'm still gonna try and get this fixed - till then, any help would be greatly appreciated!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation