Question

Honor Student
bpchaser
Message 1 of 4 (148 Views)

cd/dvd not recognized by Win 8 Pro

I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 with a product name of dv6700 with a service tag of dv6768se w/Vista.  I just recently downloaded Windows 8 Pro.  The device manager does not read/recognize/show the cd/dvd drive.  The Geek Squad advised that this is common with the recent release of Win 8.  They further advised that HP has to provide me with the necessary drivers for the OS to read the ODD.  Where can I get these drivers?  Are they even out yet?  Please help.

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 4 (142 Views)

Re: cd/dvd not recognized by Win 8 Pro

Drivers for CD/DVD drives are included in and provided by Windows itself. Software to use functions of the drive such as playing DVDs,etc is installed extra, after the drive is recognized by Windows of course.

Open up Device Manager in any Windows machine, right click the CD/DVD drive choose Properties.next go to Drivers tab.It will always state-Provided by Microsoft. If Geek Squad can show you any machine in the store that shows CD/DVD drivers provided by HP,Dell,Toshiba or any other manufacturer I wil be extremely shocked.

The problem of disappearing CD/DVD drives has been around since XP as far as I know, maybe longer.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=CD/DVd%20drive%20not%20recognized%20in%20Windows%208&FORM=HPNTLB&PC=HPN...

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 4 (139 Views)

HP has a document posted on this:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03370738&prodSeriesId=519200...

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
bpchaser
Message 4 of 4 (129 Views)

Hello, thank you but the cd/dvd rom is still not showing up in the device manager.  I did all the steps on the document provided by HP to no avail.  I have also done some regedit steps from some other forums adding some code to no avail as well.  I can hear the cd/dvd rom working/spinning.  It's just not read by Win 8 Pro.  I'm considering a hardware purchase and have the Geek Squad install and deal with it.  Any other ideas that might help would be appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation