08-06-2011 10:25 AM
I have compaq 6910p. its having windows 7 i need to install windows xp is it possible? if possible please send me the procedure for installation.Its basically windows vista compatible.
08-06-2011 10:59 AM - edited 08-06-2011 10:59 AM
Enter BIOS and turn off Native SATA mode and boot with your XP cd to delete partitions, create new one and install.
If you prefer not to turn off Native SATA, see Dan's guide on slipsteaming the SATA driver HERE
|******Clicking the Kudos button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******|
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
08-06-2011 06:36 PM
You can also load the SATA driver if you disable the SATA Native Mode in the BIOS once XP has installed.
Here is how to do that:
1. Install the chipset driver first & reboot:
The following steps are used for installing AHCI drivers in Windows XP operating system installed using disable SATA Native mode.
2. Download AHCI driver from downloadcenter.intel.com then extract the files to a folder you name. Put the folder on your C: drive and remember where you put it so you can browse to it .
3. Right-click the My Computer icon, click Manage, select Device Manager
4. Click the + symbol beside IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers , this would show the devices under this category.
5. You will find the Intel native SATA storage controller driver installed.
6. Right-click one of the Serial ATA storage controllers listed, and click Update Driver .
7. In Welcome to the Hardware Update Wizard, select No, not this time. Click Next .
8. Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) . Click Next
9. Select Don't search I will choose the driver to install . Click Next
10. Click Have Disk
11. Click Browse
12. Select location: c:\folder you saved ACHI drivers to.
13. Select iaAHCI.inf
14. Click Open
15. This will list several SATA AHCI Controllers. From this list, select Intel® ICH8 SATA AHCI Controller (I am not sure as the the specific one if there is more than one (Pick the one that is closest to the name of the controller in your device manager). Click Next.
16. The Update Driver Warning will be shown. Click Yes
17. The driver will install, and completing the Hardware update Wizard appears. Click Finish
18. You can find the updated controller in the device manager.
19. During restart, press the F10 key and boot to BIOS setup utility . Go back to your device configurations sub menu and change the SATA Native Mode back to Enabled, save settings there (F10) and upon exit, save changes and reboot.
Now, the SATA driver is successfully installed, and the notebook will boot into Windows with SATA Native Mode set to AHCI.