Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i just installed windows 7 operating system on my COMPAQ nc6400 latop. i have searched on line for compactible drivers for this operating system, but could not get any. i would appreciate if a link is sent to me. thank you so much as i anticipate your reply.

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP does not support the nc6400 for Windows 7.  That is why there are no drivers for it on the support and download page. The first notebook supported for Windows 7 in the same class as the nc6400 is the 6910p.

That being said, I upgraded an nc6400 to Windows 7 Pro 64 bit (you need the T5600 or higher to run the 64 bit version). I experienced no problems at all and everything worked just fine. Needed to use some creativity to find some drivers but in the end it was all good.

So...here is what you need to do:

Make sure all of your wireless devices are turned on in the HP Wireless Assistant (WLAN card & Bluetooth) before installing W7!

Load Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit).

Bring it right to service pack 1 if your installation disk does not include SP1 already. Use the standalone installation version which you can burn the ISO file to a DVD and run it from the desktop.

Here is the download link to W7 SP1. it is good for 32 or 64 bit.  You want this file:

7601.17514.101119-1850_Update_Sp_Wave1-GRMSP1.1_DVD.iso1.0 GB

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5842

After you install W7 SP1, connect to the internet (W7 drivers should have installed for both your wireless and NIC).

Launch the Windows Update program from your programs menu. W7 will download the latest drivers for some of your devices for you.

For anything else that is missing after W7 installs drivers, use the Windows Vista Business 32 or 64 bit drivers.

Use the HP Wireless Assistant software for Vista Business for your notebook.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Use the latest Vista Texas Instruments card reader driver for your notebook:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Use the HP 3D driveguard driver for Windows Vista from your notebook at first:  Then later on, launch the Windows Update program again, and it will install the W7 version for you.

Use the HP Quick Launch buttons W7 32 or 64 bit driver from the 6910p. The Vista quicklaunch buttons from the nc6400 have a compatibility issue with W7. I used the older W7 version to be safe.

I think that should take care of everything for you but it has been a long time since I did this. If you are missing anything, please post back and post the Hardware ID string of characters for the missing device(s).

You can find this by clicking on the problem device in the device manager. Then click on the details tab. In the Properties drop down list, select the second item (Hardware ID's). Post that top string of characters. Those ID the device and I can send you the link to the drivers.

The nc6400 works great on Windows 7--especially if you max out the RAM to 4 GB of PC2-5300 (you can also use PC2-6400 but it will only run at the PC2-5300 speed).

Paul

HP Recommended

Thank-you for posting this!

I installed w7 64bit on my nc 6400 running the T7200 processor at 2.0 ghz.

I installed an earlier version howver so there were several upates before I got to SP1.

Everything went smothely except for two missing drivers:

1) Mass Storage Controller

PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_803B&SUBSYS_30AD103C&REV_00

2) PCI Simple Communications Controller

PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_803D&SUBSYS_30AD103C&REV_00

They seem to be important... I am noticing that copying files to the HD is really slow.  So were all of the update installations.

Did W7 detect these devices when you installed?

HP Recommended
Woohoo I think I got it. On your advice I installed Vista Texas Instruments card reader and all the nasty yellow exclamation marks are gone! Now to buy some ram 🙂 Thanks again.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You should have a fully functioning nc6400 on W7.

Max is 4 GB of memory. You can get PC2-6400 if that is cheaper than the PC2-5300 but it will run at the 667 MHz speed.

I would not bother with a 64 bit OS unless you have 4 GB of memory installed. 64 bit OS's need more memory to run than 32 bit OS's do. Not double, but more.

Paul

HP Recommended
Thanks. I did a model search at crucial.com and ordered the recommended two sticks of PC2-5300. At $60 it seemed reasonable. I'm actually running audio software on her and it's going really smoothly, though I still dual boot with XP occasionally. Thanks again...

Steve
HP Recommended
im trying to set up a nc6400 laptop with windows 7 ultimate for a friend. ive got everything ok except for the video card.
the graphics card is giving me a code 12. "the device cannot find enough resources"
Ive checked bios. updated every driver and even tried vista 32 drivers but same result.
and i tried the resources tab to see what devices are possibly conflicting but it doesnt list any.
i even tried disabling everything to see if it free'd up something but no luck.
i need help 😞
HP Recommended
did you follow the steps listed above? I loaded home premium 64 simply by connecting to the internet and letting w7 load all the drivers. The only one missing was for the card reader which I found at HP site as detailed above.

Maybe there's a hardware defect that is preventing video drivers from loading ?
HP Recommended

well it looks like its a driver issue. i had slipstreamed sp1 and a full driverpack to use as my universal win7 install disk. this is the problem description

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=4516

AMD PCI Express (3GIO) Filter Driver apparently has severe issues with intel chipsets and likes to mess it up.

ill have to remove that driver from my disk and try again.

HP Recommended

@otigerald wrote:

i just installed windows 7 operating system on my COMPAQ nc6400 latop. i have searched on line for compactible drivers for this operating system, but could not get any. i would appreciate if a link is sent to me. thank you so much as i anticipate your reply.

@otigerald wrote:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.