computer keeps going to sleep (1097 Views)
Top Student
srelos
Message 1 of 6 (1,097 Views)

computer keeps going to sleep

Why does my laptop keep going to sleep when i start a game, or a notification from the computer pops up?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 6 (1,065 Views)

Re: computer keeps going to sleep

Hi,

From the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt, select ‘Run as Administrator’ and enter the following command, then hit enter.

powercfg -restoredefaultschemes     ( note that there is a space after powercfg )

When complete, type exit and hit enter.  Restart the notebook and see if this has corrected the issue.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
srelos
Message 3 of 6 (1,050 Views)

It has not fixed the problem.... What does that do anyways?

It goes to sleep if i try to run as administrator... thats my problem. so i tried it without running as admin, then restarted. then it made my lock screen black. it turned off my screen and put it to sleep... this is a pretty  new Pavilion dv7-6185 us, prolly around 3-4 months old. it startde happening a little after i updated the BIOS for this laptop... please help.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 6 (1,042 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The command in my previous post just resets the default values for all Windows power options.

Here are a couple more suggestions to try.

Reset the bios defaults as follows.

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as soon as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this may well be f9 on your notebook, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

It would also be a good idea to use Recovery Manager to reinstall your Display drivers - the process for using recovery manager to reinstall software and drivers is described in the document on the link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01868333&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
srelos
Message 5 of 6 (1,032 Views)

It didn't work.... =/ last night i turned off the computer, but then this morning. i tried pressing the power button it didnt even turn on. so i came home and tried it. so it turned on, then i followed your directions, turned on a game, but it went back to sleep... So i right now, i'm just reinstalling the game, (but it does it to all the games) but im just checking if it will work if i reinstall it.... btw, i really appreciate your help, thank you so much... But unfortunatly the problem has not been solved, if anything i might take it to frys and see what is wrong... but to avoid spending money that i do not own, i want to try to fix it at home.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 6 (1,029 Views)

Hi,

You're welcome :smileyhappy:

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

It's also worth remembering that your notebook will have a 12 month warranty from HP, so if the above tests fail to find any problems, you can contact HP using the relevant link below and arrange for it to be repaired under this warranty.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation