Re: deleting c:\windws.old after updating to 8.1 (74 Views)
Student
blwny
Message 1 of 3 (94 Views)

deleting c:\windws.old after updating to 8.1

I upgraded from windows 8 to 8.1 on a brand new notebook.  The next day I got help from HP to resolve my internet connectivity issue.  That is all fine and good as far as I can tell.  Since then I have a message from HP that the previous version of windows was saved in a folder c:\windows.old and that it is using a lot of disk space.  The message indicates to delete the folder after copying any old files that you want to keep over to the new version. 

My questions are, 1) since this is a new notebook what files could I possibly have that I would want to keep, and 2) how would I see them and 3) how would I save them to the new version? 4) Has anyone done this, did you experience any problems, any words of advice??

Tutor
rana-baba3
Message 2 of 3 (88 Views)

Re: deleting c:\windws.old after updating to 8.1

well i m jus a regular windows oprating system user..and i hav done couple of installations...

there is option in windows during upgrade that it saves ur old windows which was installed in c drive previously into a folder old windows and this folder can be seen in c drive....so normally this old window folder contains ur desktop files and documents pictures and downloaded files....so u can browse that folder and look up and copy paste ur important files to other drive or d drive....the rest old window folder u can delte and save ur space hdd..if u dont hav imp files than simply delete that old window folder...

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 3 of 3 (74 Views)

Re: deleting c:\windws.old after updating to 8.1

Hi:

In addition to the above, the specific steps to delete the Windows.old folder is as follows:

To delete the Windows.old folder, you need to launch the Disk Cleanup utility and then after it does its scan, you hit the Clean Up System Files button on the lower left side of the window.

It will scan again and you can now see and check to delete the Windows.old folder.

After you do that, if you don't have a solid state hard drive, I recommend you defragment the hard drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation