Question

Tutor
legend239
Message 1 of 4 (3,169 Views)

difference between creating a system image, system repair disc, and recovery dvd

hi, i just got my new laptop, its pavilion dm4.

i made the recovery dvd already, but in the HP advisor, i found that i can also create a system repair disc, and system image, so what is the difference between these three, ? which one do i need the most?

thanks

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 4 (3,146 Views)

Re: difference between creating a system image, system repair disc, and recovery dvd

[ Edited ]

The Recovery DVD set can be used to reinstall back to factory specs- either on the current hdd or in the event you have to install a new one. The system repair disc can be used to correct startup problems,etc. The system image is similiar sort of to Recovery set in that it can be used to reimage the hdd in the event of problems. Main difference is that it can be done after you install your added programs, files,photos etc and it will restore everything intact.

Each has value.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
bonbonely
Message 3 of 4 (2,800 Views)

Re: difference between creating a system image, system repair disc, and recovery dvd

[ Edited ]

So in other words, if I have a online backup system of my files and programs. I don't need the system image thingy? I have a system repair disc. Is that all I need? I was going to do the system image one as well, but apparently it takes 62GB, which if I'm doing my math correctly will be more than 90 700MB cds. I definitely do not want to do that.

Thanks for the help.

Ok, well nevermind. Apparently it won't let me use my 700MB cds anyway...LOL I guess I'm not making a system image back up. 

Bonbon
Student
msmofet60
Message 4 of 4 (2,729 Views)

I have a pavillion g7. I was only allowed to make a repair disc and recovery image discs. Can I use the recovery image to restore to factory if I need to do a reinstall? If not why wasn't I allowed to make recovery discs only image discs?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation