downgrade to win 7 for an HP m7-j020dx (1400 Views)
Top Student
roadtripdog47
Message 1 of 18 (1,400 Views)

downgrade to win 7 for an HP m7-j020dx

[ Edited ]

I recently purchased an HP Envy TS m7-j020dx

Product E4S19UA#ABA

Love the computer! Windows 8, not so much. I even upgraded to 8.1 hoping for the best, but . . . I tried to love 8 but it's just not working for me. I would like to find out if I could install windows 7 my laptop and if so, how to do it.

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 18 (1,386 Views)

Re: downgrade to win 7 for an HP m7-j020dx

****Disclaimer*****

HP doesn't recommend the installation of Windows 7 on a computer shipped with Windows 8, nor will it support the installation of Windows 7. HP will not provide Windows 7 drivers and suitable drivers may not be available for the hardware in the computer. Also, Windows 7 may not support some of the hardware or software features designed for the computer.

Make sure you create your HP Recovery Discs or USB Flash Recovery media before modifying or changing ANYTHING.

You will need to DISABLE "Secure Boot" and maybe ENABLE "Legacy Support" in the "BIOS Secure Boot cofiguration" on the settings page shown below, before you can attempt to install Windows 7;

or

Select Enabled

Additionally, as the hard drive is partitioned as GPT, you must boot the computer using the "UEFI - CD/DVD drive" in the "F9" boot menu. If "UEFI - CD/DVD drive" or something to that effect doesn't exist in the boot menu, please post a screen shot and/or descibe the listed boot options.

I suggest using Windows 7 SP1 for the best intallation experience. If you need Windows SP1, please see "How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc" to download and create your own. If the DVD refuses to boot as UEFI, you may need to use a USB Flash drive (may require DISABLING "Fast Boot" in the BIOS) as the installation media. Please download the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool to create a Windows 7 SP1 USB Flash drive. Some computers may not recognize a valid UEFI enabled USB Flash drive if it is formated as NTFS.

It appears HP is only providing drivers for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. Please see Windows 7 drivers for  hp envy 17 j020ss for instructions on downloading and installing drivers for Windows 7 on your computer. Please post the Windows Device Manager's "Hardware Ids" for any remaining missing and/or unknown devices, as shown in the example below;

device manager.png

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Top Student
roadtripdog47
Message 3 of 18 (1,383 Views)

Wow! That looks like a bigger project than I thought it would be. But better to know now than too late. I'm probably going to try it but it might take awhile since I have to work this weekend. I'll be back to post the results. Thank you - I appreciate your thorough response.

Honor Student
oblivius
Message 4 of 18 (1,217 Views)

Hi roadtripdog, any news ? I have the same laptop and strongly intend to do the same. I really can't stand how windows 8 is organized.

thanks for posting

Top Student
roadtripdog47
Message 5 of 18 (1,198 Views)

After reading lasvegaswireman's instructions I decided it might be more than my abilities to tackle and I did not want the potential driver problesms. I am a little surprised that hp is so cowed by Microsoft that they go along with making it difficult for customers to change to a more useful version of Windows. I looked around to see what other things I might do to live with 8. At laptopmag I found this blog that helped me get Start8 and some other things that make it feel much more like Windows 7 here: http://blog.laptopmag.com/make-windows-8-like-windows-7

Also, Lifehacker has some information as well. I even found an aeroglass app that gives that cool glass look. Some recent stories have also come from Microsoft recently that they are working on Windows 8 8.2 upgrade that does some of these things. Evidently you and I are part of a huge group that hates 8 and Microsoft is backpedaling a bit. Whoever at Microsoft who thought that people wanted their PC to look and work like a cellphone isn't very familiar with the real world. As an author my PC has to be a working machine and not a plaything.

BTW I really like the laptop. The only complaint I have is that the keyboard frame flexes when I am typing. I write a lot and am used to flying my fingers around the keyboard and the bouncing frame is annoying (you can see it flex as you type) but I am slowly becoming used to it. Other than that it's a fine PC, especially now that I have it looking and working like Windows 7.

Honor Student
oblivius
Message 6 of 18 (1,186 Views)

I use it for office reasons too and I am just disappointed you get errors just uninstalling the latest (too much cartoonish) version of Ms Office. I could not install smoothly office 2003 or 2007 (which I have licensed)... 

You can't have free access to folders because you don't have admin rights (which seems to be easily changeable in Windows 7 but here, even following instructions, I was not able to apply any any any change at all, which basically means I can't install any other Ms related software which is not coming already with the laptop, relatively to the Office package).

It is just simply uncomfortable and annoying.

but thanks for your comment, I haven't given up yet the idea of downgrading...I just have no time at the moment to do that.... but I will try I think. In the end this machine has no compontents (I assume) that were not existing during the windows 7 era...so theoretically is not impossible to make it work. I guess is jut they don't want to officially ease the process because it would go against their marketing plans (I am referring to HP).

but I could be wrong.

Top Student
GoBlueGuy
Message 7 of 18 (1,103 Views)

Sorry for stealing this old thread, but...

I've been able to successfully get Windows  7 Pro SP1 installed on my M7-j020DX, and drivers for everything working. Except for turning on and off the Bluetooth and Wireless.  They are off, and I need a hotkey driver for the keyboard to enable the wireless.  Both windows 8 hotkey drivers will not work.  Uninstalling the keyboard driver and letting windows reinstall does not work.

Any sugesstions?

Top Student
roadtripdog47
Message 8 of 18 (1,060 Views)

I don't know where to go for the correct keyboard driver, maybe one of the more experience people can help. Can you turn the Bluetooth and Wireless on and off through the control panel? I know, not as quick as the keyboard, but it may work until you find the right driver.

Top Student
roadtripdog47
Message 9 of 18 (1,059 Views)

By the way, how long did it take to get Win 7 installed?

Top Student
GoBlueGuy
Message 10 of 18 (1,048 Views)

It took the better part of the night!

One thing, (It was a brand new computer that day!) was that the function keys are backwards from most other laptops.  The coputer specific functions (volume, brightness, etc.) are assigned to the keys without the FN key!  In order for the operatingiing system to use the "normal" F1-F12, one must use the FN key.

Other than that, it is working with Windows 7 perfectly!  It can be done.  Just trial and error with the drivers from similar laptops.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation