Question

Honor Student
dave7692
Message 1 of 2 (2,713 Views)

dv5000 Notebook Recovery

I've been asked to recover a dv5000 notebook that has a totally wiped hard drive. I ordered and received the recovery discs from HP.

I received three discs:

1. Operating System CD

2. Application and Driver Recovery DVD

3. HP QuickPlay 2.0 Application Restore CD

No instructions were included.

When I boot from the operating system CD, I get a regular XP Home install. I thought I would get a recovery menu, and the operating system and recovery partition would be restored. Am I wrong? Should I be going about this in a different way?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

Grad Student
compenthusiast
Message 2 of 2 (2,696 Views)

Re: dv5000 Notebook Recovery

Hi dave 7692, I think to recover the laptop with the recovery console (using the F-11 key at startup) you would have to have an OS (even a damaged one) on the hard drive. You stated the disc was clean, so I think that there's nothing to recover (someone may reply with other/better advice).

Since you seem to have the discs to do a full recovery (start over), I would do the full install with XP, then use the other 2 discs to replace the drivers and HP software.

Now there may be a way to use the recovery partition after you re-install XP, but this is where it's above me :-)

Good luck!