Question

Student
LastDefenda
Message 1 of 9 (2,791 Views)

dv6-1110ax Windows xp(64bit) downgrading problem

I've tried to downgrade my vista os to a xp(64bit) system ,but failed when always in boot startup in xp shows blue error screen when starting the windows.

please help me out of this i've tried to patch SATA drivers both x86 and x64 but didn't help . please help. 

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 2 of 9 (2,767 Views)

Re: dv6-1110ax Windows xp(64bit) downgrading problem

Hi,

There are big problems with drivers to XP 64 bit version, software, etc. This version isn't as good supported as other system. I know the there is one difference which may be very importnat to You. Then XP 32 bit can hold only 3,5GB of Ram and 64 bit version all that chipset can take. If You need full Ram for any program or anything else the best choice is to use two systems. One will be XP32 bit and second Vista x64 or Win7 x64 which is now in beta test mode. 

Before You will do anything please readmy whole post, please.

Remember also then before You will start change for dual boot on You laptop You must prepare XP CD. All informations about it You will find in XP 32bit downgrade section which is written below in this post.

If You want to use two systems on Your computer You will have to do it like this:

A) for Vista x64 with XP 32bit: How to make dual boot with Vista installed first guide here.

B) for XP 32bit with Win7 x64: How to make dual boot with XP 32bit installed first guide here.

XP 32bit downgrade:

Downgrading this model is not always easy and Your model is designed for good work under Vista. Please check first this link written by Joshua Wood and concentrate in it on problems that may appear when You will be installing sound card.

Before downgrade make Vista backup. Here You've got all informations how to do it.

Update Your Bios to the latest version from here. (You may do it only in Vista system! )

How to do it?

Plug You ac adapter to the computer.

Disconnect from the internet. Switch off any antivirus and firewalls.

Then execute the Bios Update exe. It may take some time. Its gonna show the installed version and the updated version. Don't switch off Your laptop, don't disconnect ac and don't do anything on it when this update is running.

Bios update is CRITICAL so be careful, have full patience.

Now You need to slipstream Your Sata drivers (only x86 drivers) with nLite.

Here are Sata drivers  for You. Just unrar this drivers with Winrar.

Here You will find *.doc file with guide how to slipstream this Sata driver with WinXP. (You will need to open this Microsoft Office).

Here You will find *.pdf file with the same guide. (You will need to open this Acrobat Reader. Download link to this program here. Choose Your system there and Your language.).

Be sure also that You are using at least WinXP SP2 version. If you haven't got SP2 version here you can download this service pack and here You've got guide how to slipstream this file with XP written by nLite.

In nLite You can even burn Your new XP CD with those changes.

All drivers You will find in Cheryl's guide General XP Downgrade Guide for HP Laptops_Part 3.

If You will have any problems let me know about it. I will try to help You as fast as I can.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 3 of 9 (2,766 Views)

[ Edited ]

If You will still insist that You want to try XP 64 bit there is only one change in guide below with Sata drivers. All other procedures are the same.

You need to slipstream Your Sata drivers (only x64 drivers) with nLite.

Here are Sata drivers  for You. Just unrar this drivers with Winrar.

Here You will find *.doc file with guide how to slipstream this Sata driver with WinXP. (You will need to open this Microsoft Office).

I know then this procedure is showed for x86 driver, but steps are the same. When You will see there that You've got to do something with x86 driver do it with x64 driver. That's all. :smileyhappy:

Here You will find *.pdf file with the same guide. (You will need to open this Acrobat Reader. Download link to this program here. Choose Your system there and Your language.).

Message Edited by Daniel_Potyrala on 08-15-2009 05:45 PM

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Top Student
Zack12345
Message 4 of 9 (1,745 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have a DV6-2112SA (I know it's not the same but the base drivers are all the same aren't they?, for DV6-xxxxx). For some reason BIOS is completely locked down, so the nice simple way of installing XP isn't an option... I have looked everywhere for SATA drivers for x64 but they are throwing up errors during installation, please can you re-upload your files

Thanks

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 5 of 9 (1,729 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Zack12345

Hi,

May I ask why You want to install XP 64 bit version?

There are big problems with drivers to XP 64 bit version, software, etc. This version isn't as good supported as other system. I know the there is one difference which may be very importnat to You. Then XP 32 bit can hold only 3,5GB of Ram and 64 bit version all that chipset can take.

If You need full Ram for any program or anything else believe me the best choice is to use two systems (dual boot). One will be XP32 bit and second Windows 7 64 bit (which You have now).

You may want to try XP mode on Windows 7 if You don't need to use much software under XP.

Check below tutorial:

How to Install and Setup Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

Top Student
Zack12345
Message 6 of 9 (1,680 Views)

Hi, thanks for your reply.

XP 32 would be fine (as I have 4gb RAM so not much will go unused). The issue with windows 7 is that it seems shocking on the laptop. The laptop is higher spec than my previous one (which I installed XP on) but it's so unbelievably slow when switching windows etc. There is a lag before going to/from chrome windows etc, it's just nowhere near what I expected it to be for the money I paid - with XP (32 or 64) I'm 100% sure those problems would disappear.

I'll have a look at "XP mode" but if that's going to be running under 7 (as a VM) then I'd rather wipe the hard drive completely and start again with XP... the problem is HP locked the BIOS to a dumbed down version so can't get into setup. I've also tried using SATA drivers with a 32 bit xp install CD but that then throws up an error with acpi (and the apparent solution was to press F5 and pick "standard", but on doing that it just goes a bit further then goes to a generic blue screen, but no further information so looking for a 64bit SATA driver seems more likely than resolving an error which gives no further information!). That's why I wanted to try your drivers (maybe they're different to what I can find?) or guide, but all the links hosting the files have expired.

Another option is hacking the BIOS I guess/replacing it with generic stuff for the motherboard, but don't know how easy that would be to do/what is available online regarding doing it - I'm at work at the moment. I know with PCs you sometimes need to open them to find out the motherboard info - I've only had the laptop a week, don't want to void the warranty!

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 7 of 9 (1,667 Views)

[ Edited ]

How to make dual boot -> Windows 7 64 bit with Windows XP 32 bit:

1. First create a set of Windows 7 recovery discs.

You should backup all important files too. Just in case anything will go wrong.

Safety is most important. How to do it information below.

Resource:

Using HP Recovery Manager in Windows 7

2.Now You will need to slipstream AMD Sata drivers. In doc / pdf document which is there You will find informations about trick with F7 key. It will solve this problem with acpi BSOD.

Resource:

SATA drivers for XP (solution on 0x0000007B BSOD)

3. Now You may install XP as a second system (Dual Boot). Use Method Two from below guide.
Resource:

Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

4.All drivers You will find in part 3 of Cheryl & Rakhmad XP Guide.

Resource:

General XP Downgrade Guide for HP Laptops.

Top Student
Zack12345
Message 8 of 9 (1,648 Views)

Thanks for your help :smileyhappy: It seems to be working now (it's going through the GUI bit of the install, 8 mins left).

If you need the info, the first driver didn't work for me even with F7 so I had to use the alternative one. I then saw the alternative one gave an x64 option too, so I did one x86 and one x64 cd. The x64 one wouldn't work (although I guess with more research into the errors it threw up it may have done), the 32bit one appears to have worked after pressing F7 (and a very long nervy wait!).

So I'm going with 32bit, as it should better in terms of compatibility, even if it doesn't utilize the RAM fully, so I'm happy with this if it works!

Thanks again :smileyhappy:

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 9 of 9 (1,633 Views)

You're welcome. :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation