Question

Tutor
jbeaver
Message 1 of 7 (360 Views)
Accepted Solution

dv7 unrecoverable after BSOD

Hi there,

I have an HP DV7 which has been running Windows 7 quite happily until recently. I experienced a BSOD in IE having had no other recent problems. There have been no recent hardware or software changes.

When I reboot, I get the windows error recovery selection screen offering me a normal windows start, or the HP Recovery console. Whichever option I select, it boots into the HP Recovery Manager.

All my files arebacked up to the cloud but my emaiooand contacts are not and I really want to get them back. The problem is when I try to run a file back prior to reimaging, I get an error "HP Recovery Manager failed. Error code = FFFFFF03". Check Disk of the Windows partition doesn't work either.

I can get a command line window which shows me in the X drive (I assume the recovery partition) and a D: drive which contains a 38GB VHD file with the name of my PC. I kow this is a virtual hsrd drive but I don't know what it is. My C: drive is unreachable from the command line ("volume does not contain a recognised file system"

I encrypted my entire physical volume with Truecrypt and I get prompted for my master password immediately following POST.

All help and ideas gratefully received!

John

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 7 (345 Views)

Re: dv7 unrecoverable after BSOD

Have you tried diagnostics on the hdd by tapping Esc key immediately after powering on? After tapping Esc you should have a menu with F2 for diagnostics.

Not sure since you have used Truecrypt, but you may be able to read the hdd by attaching it to a> USB Enclosure or> Adapter to plug into another machine. If you can browse the hdd from the other machine you should be able to rescue files.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
jbeaver
Message 3 of 7 (334 Views)

Thank you very much for the response.

the memory check and full disc checks on both primary and secondary show no problems. Does anybody know whether the .vhd file on D: is normal or whether this is a consequence of using Truecrypt?

Also, is there anything I can do from the command line to help?

Thanks again,

John

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 7 (326 Views)

[ Edited ]

Create a Windows 7 Repair CD using the ISO download below.

Windows 7 64bit

Get  ImgBurn to burn the ISO to a CD. A guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disk is Here. Once created, boot from it. Follow the guide  below to run Start-up Repair – run this 2 or 3 times with a reboot between each.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
jbeaver
Message 5 of 7 (317 Views)

Cheryl,

Thanks - I'll burn this today and try tonight (UK time). One slight concern... I am presuming that the boot from DVD will take place before I can enter my Truecrypt decryption password so my hard drives will be unreadable from the boot repair environment...

Anyway, will have a play when I get home tonight.

Thanks again,

John

Tutor
jbeaver
Message 6 of 7 (301 Views)

As I thought, the boot option (pressing Esc just after POST) is before the Truecrypt bootloader. So whilst I boot from the rescue disc with no problems, none of the volumes were readable and therefore there was no OS to fix!

Eventually fixed this by running the Truecrypt rescue disc and decrypting the entire hard drive (this takes AGES - I needed to run mine overnight).

Once this was done, the HP-provided system kicked in and fixed whatever was preventing the system from booting.

I think I'm going to copy the files I need and do a complete re-image to a clean Win 7 build. And this time, I might not encrypt the entire hard drive with Truecrypt as that was obviously compromising the recovery of the system.

Thanks again for the help.

John

Provost
CherylG
Message 7 of 7 (287 Views)

Happy to hear you finally have it sorted.:smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation