Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How about serial number?

Other posibility is the HP site reporting a wrong info, check the box, the spec is written there.

No, if any chips of memory was damaged, the whole system become unstable, AFAIK no such possibility.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
HP Recommended

Oh, THAT's interesting to learn that chances are high, they either changed the whole mobo, or the system wouldn't run stable with damaged graphics memory...

(An ugly one: would it be worth exchanging the mobo and do all that counterfeiting data just for the value of the old mobo???)

Here's what I found so far: (I used "SIW System Information for Windows"-tool to get the following data, among a lot of other)

- Serial-# matches my serial-# as per the original packaging, paperwork and bottom of the machine

- Model 103C_5335KV (another way to denote the model KP964EA/dv9787eg?)

- NVIDIA 8600M GS with (only) 256MB DDR2 64bits

- dedicated video memory 239MB (251199488)

- dedicated system memory 0MB

- shared system memory 1279MB (1341353984)

- Mobo is a Quanta 30CB 79.2E (no serial-# found/supplied by SIW!)

I will check the hardware again by "reading out" data with Fn+Esc and/or CPUZ and GPUZ and report back (as said, I think the info there said KP964EA already - just to make sure)...

Just for the guessing or "narrowing the problem down":

IF my system was running on 256MB before already (and hp advertised wrong data for my rig) - so no change there - what else might cause my games running roughly now and be a reason for the dropped performance-index in windows?

Possible that the graphics chip is able to perform with 256MB only and I would need another version of the 8600M GS which IS able to make use of the 512? (Guess no, as the above info TELLS me that there is only 256MB - and no 512MB - available, right?)

CAN that be related to some software or driver?

Would/might setting up windows anew (or changing from Vista to 7 for that matter) might bring me back to speed?

Anyway, let me tell you that I VERY much appreciate your help on this - I am kind of lost on my own here, and I will try whatever I can to get back my "old" great-performing machine.

HP Recommended

You can chat with HP to ask the original spec of the notebook, here

AFAIK, its free even if you are out of warranty.

About gaming performance, which Nvidia driver are you using?

The performance in playing games may related to driver as well.

But I would highly NOT recommend you to use that notebook for gaming.

Nvidia 8600M GS is known as a warm GPU, as many posts reported using it for gaming will decrease the lifespan of the solder connection. I'm pretty sure the current mobo will fail again after a year or so if you use it for gaming.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
HP Recommended

Rakhmad, thanks for the hp-support link supplied (no issues with me being German and them being US-support; they are Indian anyway...) - I had some exchange with their support which leads me toward having the rig re-checked. The original specs appear to be valid, so my machine is kind of "downgraded", whysoever. Maybe/hopefully the repair shop chosen will find a remedy.

But certainly this is nothing to be corrected by myself, but some hardware-defect in need to be taken care of.

For the sake of good order, I am running on the latest NVIDIA drivers (260.99 released Oct 25, 2010). And I well understand your comment about my rig not being the best of choices for playing. But it DID perform before, so I just want the performance back - well knowing that I might run into same troubles in future.......

Thanks again for all you help - utmost appreciated.

HP Recommended

how can i open the bios to change password

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.