Question

Honor Student
murpthom
Message 1 of 7 (411 Views)

envy dv6 win8 cracked screen stuck in safe mode

Envy DV6 notebook, Win 8, with cracked screen was able to view on external monitor.  Replacement screen did not work.  Was advised to try safe mode.  Entered safe mode via msconfig which disabled my ability to view on external monitor.  Now I can not view anything and can not get out of safe mode.  Is there a way to exit safe mode when I can not view anything?

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 2 of 7 (383 Views)

Re: envy dv6 win8 cracked screen stuck in safe mode

Hello murpthom.  I understand your notebook is stuck in Safe Mode.

If you hold down your power button for 10-15 seconds it will power off the notebook.

Also, which version of the DV6 do you own?  This document will show you how to identify it by the product number.

Does the replacement screen activate at all?

Did you replace the screen or did you have the notebook repaired?

I'll keep an eye out for your answers.  Have a great day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Honor Student
murpthom
Message 3 of 7 (374 Views)

AttackofZaq:

Thanks for responding.  I have a DV6-7218NR.  I replaced the screen.  It is the second screen as the frist did not work also.   The replacement screens did not activate at all.

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 4 of 7 (370 Views)

Hello again murpthom.

That is quite strange.  Did the cracked screen still activate?

How was the screen cracked?  Was the notebook dropped?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Honor Student
murpthom
Message 5 of 7 (354 Views)

The original cracked screen would light up but could not read anything.  The laptop was dropped.

Tom

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 6 of 7 (332 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello murpthom.

It is very unlikely for you to have gotten two broken replacement screens.  Did you order them from HP or from a third-party?  

I'd wager that the graphics card was also damaged when the notebook was dropped.  Do you know how to use a multimeter?  If so you should open the notebook and verify whether the LCD is even getting power.  This looks like you may need to replace the motherboard.  

Let me know the result.

Honor Student
murpthom
Message 7 of 7 (324 Views)

Got screen from third party.   I know how to use a multimeter.  What pins would I check?   I think the graphics  is onboard the motherboard.  I have ordered a video cable as the connector might have gotten damaged.

Tom

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation